Eee PC?

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
Geeheeb

Eee PC?

Post by Geeheeb » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:53 pm

I haven't found too much info about system requirements for the sampler. Would an Eee PC be able to play 10-20 MB .gig files? This would basically be used for playing samples for a band's live set.

Thanks!

dahnielson

Re: Eee PC?

Post by dahnielson » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:22 pm

Can't really answer that in respect to CPU/RAM for the Eee PC. But it hinges a lot on what audio interface you plan to use for low-latency playback.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

sbenno
Developer

Post by sbenno » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:33 am

according to the specs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC

the Eec comes with 512MB or 1GB
of course 1GB is better but i think even with the 512MB version you can load pretty large sample sets much bigger than 20MB.
since LinuxSampler can run without GUI, in case you are short of memory you could boot the Eee in console mode and then just
feed LinuxSampler with an LSCP script which sets up audio,midi interfaces and preloads the samples.
You can even save ram using the ON DEMAND LSCP commands so that a MIDI program change loads the sample on demand thus
conserving RAM. That way cou can remote control LinuxSampler only using MIDI commands without using a memory hungry GUI.
And who where the ones that said that separating engine and GUI frontend was a bad idea ? :)

As for audio,midi playback, not sure how good the internal audio interface is. (both audio quality and latency wise) but you can always
resort to an external USB audio/midi interface, but sincerely I don't know which one to recommend so just ask around before buying something.

Looking forward to hear about your experiences with the Eee, it is an interesting machine and I am sure some musicians will put it at a good use
since it is small, rugged and stable as it runs Linux :) good luck !

Geeheeb

Post by Geeheeb » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:42 pm

Thanks so much for the input guys! I will certainly follow up with my results.