Need help using Fantasia or qsampler

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
eamner

Need help using Fantasia or qsampler

Post by eamner » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:18 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum.
I've been all afternoon trying -unsuccessfully- to make Jsampler or Qsampler work in my machine (Kubuntu 12.04) to play GIGs and SFZs. I installed all linuxsampler/qsampler/fantasia from KVR PPAs.
Anyway I'm not an expert, maybe I'm doing something wrong. I can run VSTs or SF2s in my computer with other samplers, but I really need to run Gigs and SFZs.
In a past installation I was able to run GIG with Fantasia (using ALSA). But now after a reinstallation, it doesn't work. Anyway I'd like to use Jack.
The thing is that it does run (Fantasia). And I've been able to play a few SFZs. I was even able to play them through Ardour making the right connections.
However everytime I try to load GIGs or SF2s I get "connection could not be established". And the connection has to be reset. I'm letting the frontend to start linuxsampler.
Additionally I'm getting the 'instruments.db' error at the start, but I don't care too much since I just need to load an instrument manually.
In the case of Qsampler, if I start Jack previously, it just crashes with Segmentation fault.
It makes no difference to me what program I use, I don't even care about GUIs. All I need is to be able to load GIGs and SFZs (SF2s I run them from Qsynth).
If I start linuxsampler from command line it starts fine. However I don't know how to load instruments from there... sorry I'm not sure how this is done.
In case you ask, the engines for all 3 formats are installed (according to the messages at the start of the program).
Any help would be appreciated.

janflorijn
User

Re: Need help using Fantasia or qsampler

Post by janflorijn » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Hi,

Your post dates from early.

Did manage to get things work?

I suggest you to split your question in parts.

Kind regards,

JanFlorijn