How to find optimization tags for my computer

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
dbolton

How to find optimization tags for my computer

Post by dbolton » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:16 pm

I'm looking to build LinuxSampler for the first time. The documentations says to replace a line with my "preferred optimization flags." How do I find out what optimization tags I need for my computer?

Here's the section from the documentation: http://www.linuxsampler.org/debian.html#build_backend
Remove the arguments --host and --build which are only meant for cross compilation and prefix the line with your preferred optimization flags. So, for a Pentium4 machine it could look like:

Code: Select all

CXXFLAGS="-O3 -msse -march=pentium4 -mfpmath=sse -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops" ./configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=\$${prefix}/share/man --infodir=\$${prefix}/share/info

dbolton

Re: How to find optimization tags for my computer

Post by dbolton » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:19 am

After further searching I discovered that there are some instructions for testing different optimization tags later in the documentation: http://www.linuxsampler.org/debian.html#benchmark. It would be helpful to link to this next section or at least reference it when the documentation first instructs the user to add optimization tags.

So I went ahead and jumped to benchmarks section of the documentation. However typing "make" as instructed just gave the following error:

Code: Select all

g++ -include ../config.h -O3 -march=native -mmmx -msse -ffast-math -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -fpermissive -mfpmath=sse -c ../src/engines/gig/Synthesizer.cpp
cc1plus: fatal error: ../config.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Synthesizer.o] Error 1
the "linuxsampler-1.0.0" directory contains "config.guess", "config.h.in", "config.sub", "configure", and "configure.in" but no "config.h".