Legato playing with wind controllers?

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
Petra-Sue

Legato playing with wind controllers?

Post by Petra-Sue » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:40 pm

Hello @all,

after acquiring an Akai EWI-USB wind controller recently I am slowly making progress in my musical articulation. I am mainly leaning towards simulating classical instruments that are a bit expensive to buy, with at the same time needing different playing approaches compared to my acoustic flute: trombone, clarinet, cello, horns, oboe, ...

As of today I am mainly using FluidSynth as synthesizer module, with either Swami or QSynth as frontends. But I could not convince them to use the "mono mode" as it is frequently called in wind controller discussions: Since only one note can be played at a time on such wind controllers, the overlap of two notes (note-on of the new tone first, then note-off of the one before) indicates a legato situation and requires the synth to act accordingly in picking the right wave samples to suppress the attack phase of the 2nd note in row.

Now I'd like to know if LS supports this "mono mode" before going into a lengthy compilation/installation/getting-used phase with it, since apart from this feature I am mostly content with the results achievable with my present synth setups.

I searched the bb for respective keywords (like "wind controller", "legato", "mono mode" etc.), but nothing enlightening surfaced. Therefore my direct question as a extremely fresh newbie on the block. :oops:

Kind regards,

Petra

varpa
User

Re: Legato playing with wind controllers?

Post by varpa » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:33 pm

iI do not know the answer to your question but this seems to be the definitive reference: http://www.linuxsampler.org/api/draft-l ... tocol.html
LS will play SF2 files (if compiled from SVN) so you could try it out and see how it does with a wind controller.

Petra-Sue

Re: Legato playing with wind controllers?

Post by Petra-Sue » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:37 pm

Hello Varpa,

thanks for the pointer, but in this rather long document I could not find anything of significance to my problem if I search for respective keywords like "mono", "wind", etc.

Therefore I tend to assume that LS will *not* support what I need.

If someone knows else, I'd love to be convinced from the contrary! :lol:

Kind regards,

Petra