What's the best SampleTekk format for compatibility?

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
ScottW

What's the best SampleTekk format for compatibility?

Post by ScottW » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:03 am

Currently, I'm using LinuxSampler (recently retrieved via Subversion and compiled) with the Maestro Concert Grand v2 on Debian Squeeze, and it sounds fabulous!

I haven't orderd from SampleTekk before, but would like to purchase one of their Bosendorfer piano sample sets.
I'm hoping someone here can direct me as to the best way to order their samples for compatibility with LinuxSampler.
Hopefully there's already a web page somewhere with answers to the following someone can direct me to, but if not:

Do I need to order a DVD instead of using SampleTekk's direct download?
I ask because of an old discussion I found at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29.
Also, https://bugs.linuxsampler.org/cgi-bin/s ... .cgi?id=90 is still open,
and http://www.postpiano.com/products/Comparison.htm shows the samples are greater than 2GB.
It looks like the direct download for Black Grand required "Replace all samplings in all groups" from a sample editor for assembly, which in '08 wasn't working in gigedit because of its large size.
So, the recommendation at the time was to order the DVD rather than downloading it.
Does anyone know if this is still the case for the PMI Bosendorfer 290, or PMI The Emperor?

Is it better to order GigaStudio v3 over GigaSampler v2 sample sets?

Thanks much for the help!

varpa
User

Re: What's the best SampleTekk format for compatibility?

Post by varpa » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:11 pm

My experience with Sampletekk is the the GS3 version of Black Grand plays very well in linuxsampler (on AVLinux). I had to get the DVD set because the GS3 version is not available for download (which I think is pretty lame). Also if you order send them an email and make sure they know you want the GS3 version. I like Sampletekk's products but their customer service is horrible. They forget to send your order or mess it up and choose extremely slow mail service to ship from Sweden to the US (> 4 weeks last time). I think they mean well, but they do not seem to be very organized. Actually, apparently Sampletekk's normal process to ship an GS3 is to have you download the samples and assemble them in Gigastudio. However, I was not sure that would work with Gigedit and I do not own Gigastudio so I had them ship me the DVD. I also suggested to them to supply SFZ versions of their pianos.