At low latencies, trying to open Gigedit crashes LS

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
thetinman

At low latencies, trying to open Gigedit crashes LS

Post by thetinman » Wed May 23, 2012 9:17 am

I run LinuxSampler along with JSampler and a sequencer at 2.9ms latency. But, when I right click on JSampler and select "Edit instrument," JSampler gives me the error message "Connection to backend failed." I can see in the terminal that LS has crashed:

Code: Select all

Found matching editor 'gigedit' for instrument ('/home/me/sessions/gigfiles/Percussion/Drum Kit 09.gig', 0) having data structure ('libgig','3.3.0')
Freeing gig file from memory...OK
Loading gig file '/home/me/sessions/gigfiles/Percussion/Drum Kit 09.gig'...OK
Loading gig instrument ('/home/me/sessions/gigfiles/Percussion/Drum Kit 09.gig',0)...OK
Caching initial samples...Segmentation fault (core dumped)
me@ubuntu:~$ 
Everything works if I increase the latency to 5.8ms. I'm not sure what is going wrong. Maybe it is a bug, but if there are any fixes or work arounds, I would like to know about them.

Edit: I can run Gigedit without problems as long as the Frames/Period setting in Qjackctl is 128. As soon as I drop the Frames/Buffer to 64 and try to launch Gigedit, LS crashes. This does not seem to be directly related to latency as Gigedit ran when

Frames/Period = 128
Sample Rate = 96000Hz
Periods/Buffer = 2
Latency = 2.67msec

but it crashed LS when

Frames/Period = 64
Sample Rate = 44100Hz
Periods/Buffer = 2
Latency = 2.9msec

varpa
User

Re: At low latencies, trying to open Gigedit crashes LS

Post by varpa » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:28 pm

Well.. every system has a latency limit depending on your hardware/software setup. Seems like you've hit the limit for your system. Why do you need to run gigaedit with such ultra-low latency (2.9 ms) anyway? I would think low latencies are only needed for live performance. I usually run linuxsampler at 8.5 ms which gives few problems on my system. I can run at 4 ms, but at higher risk of xruns, and I cannot hear latencies below 10ms myself.

thetinman

Re: At low latencies, trying to open Gigedit crashes LS

Post by thetinman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:57 am

I like to run a latency of 2.9ms because it makes my keyboard feel very responsive.