how to create a drumkit with multiple audio outs

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
allan_k

how to create a drumkit with multiple audio outs

Post by allan_k » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:57 am

Hi All,

I'm looking at the potential of using linuxsampler along with seq24 and (and possibly ardour for mixing) and an mpd32 to replace my ageing Akai MPC2kxl..
Hydrogen was the previous main contender but due to some limitations with changing drumkits while playing (e.g. triggered by a program change) it's not going to suit all my needs.

Over the weekend I had a bit of a play around with gigedit and linuxsampler and fantasia (Qsampler segfaults on both machines I set up).. It's very impressive and I can see there is a lot of power here..

What I want to be able to do is setup linuxsampler so that I have mutliple audio outs for the one kit so as to assign the different instruments to different jack outputs, e.g. separate kicks, from snares , from hats, from cymbals, from toms , from perc.. and then route them either to ardour or to external outputs for mixing..

If possible I would then like to run additional "samplers" with separate stereo outs for playing sampled instruments..

Can anyone suggest how this can be done..

Also I'd prefer to be able to use a GUI for creating my drumkits so .gig engine looks best for the moment, but I am open to suggestions.

cheers

Allan

varpa
User

Re: how to create a drumkit with multiple audio outs

Post by varpa » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:45 am

You need to create separate sampler channels each with its own audio out (i.e. a separate audio device, using Jack). You could load the same gig (sfz/sf2) file to all channels, but use only channel only for snare, another for kick, etc.