QSampler build issues in Fedora 15

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
bipll

QSampler build issues in Fedora 15

Post by bipll » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:40 pm

Greetings. I am trying to build QSampler 0.2.2 from official tarball. My configuration is Fedora 15 x86_64,

Code: Select all

uname -a
|- Linux portable 2.6.41.1-1.fc15.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Nov 11 21:36:28 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
g++ -v
|- Using built-in specs.
|- COLLECT_GCC=g++
|- COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.6.1/lto-wrapper
|- Target: x86_64-redhat-linux
|- Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-bugurl=http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla --enable-bootstrap --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-checking=release --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-gnu-unique-object --enable-linker-build-id --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++,java,fortran,ada,go,lto --enable-plugin --enable-java-awt=gtk --disable-dssi --with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0/jre --enable-libgcj-multifile --enable-java-maintainer-mode --with-ecj-jar=/usr/share/java/eclipse-ecj.jar --disable-libjava-multilib --with-ppl --with-cloog --with-tune=generic --with-arch_32=i686 --build=x86_64-redhat-linux
|- Thread model: posix
|- gcc version 4.6.1 20110908 (Red Hat 4.6.1-9) (GCC) 
I have liblscp 0.5.6 installed, as well as LinuxSampler 1.0.0, all built from source (the latter required PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig ./configure lol, as it could not find libgig otherwise). qsamplers's configure works fine, but make constantly gives

Code: Select all

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/bipll/src/LinuxSampler/qsampler-0.2.2'
g++ -Wl,-O1 -o qsampler .obj/main.o .obj/qsamplerOptions.o .obj/qsamplerChannel.o .obj/qsamplerMessages.o .obj/qsamplerInstrument.o .obj/qsamplerInstrumentList.o .obj/qsamplerDevice.o .obj/qsamplerFxSend.o .obj/qsamplerFxSendsModel.o .obj/qsamplerUtilities.o .obj/qsamplerInstrumentForm.o .obj/qsamplerInstrumentListForm.o .obj/qsamplerDeviceForm.o .obj/qsamplerDeviceStatusForm.o .obj/qsamplerChannelStrip.o .obj/qsamplerChannelForm.o .obj/qsamplerChannelFxForm.o .obj/qsamplerOptionsForm.o .obj/qsamplerMainForm.o .obj/moc_qsamplerChannel.o .obj/moc_qsamplerMessages.o .obj/moc_qsamplerInstrumentList.o .obj/moc_qsamplerDevice.o .obj/moc_qsamplerFxSendsModel.o .obj/moc_qsamplerInstrumentForm.o .obj/moc_qsamplerInstrumentListForm.o .obj/moc_qsamplerDeviceForm.o .obj/moc_qsamplerDeviceStatusForm.o .obj/moc_qsamplerChannelStrip.o .obj/moc_qsamplerChannelForm.o .obj/moc_qsamplerChannelFxForm.o .obj/moc_qsamplerOptionsForm.o .obj/moc_qsamplerMainForm.o .obj/qrc_qsampler.o    -L/usr/lib64 -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib64 -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib64 -llscp -lgig -lpthread -lQtGui -lQtCore 
/usr/bin/ld: .obj/main.o: undefined reference to symbol 'XDeleteProperty'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'XDeleteProperty' is defined in DSO /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6 so try adding it to the linker command line
/usr/lib64/libX11.so.6: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [qsampler] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bipll/src/LinuxSampler/qsampler-0.2.2'
make: *** [qsampler] Error 2
G**gling "qsampler XDeleteProperty" gave no answer, so I tried to ask here.
What could be the reason? Of course, I could try to switch to Fantasia, but I find it slower than qsampler, and anyway I don't like to be bound to a solution by simply malfunctionality of an alternative.
Thanks in advance.
See no `attach' button here, so I submitted config.log to pastebin.com, in case if this is of any help: http://pastebin.com/kmEmMq4s

varpa
User

Re: QSampler build issues in Fedora 15

Post by varpa » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:10 pm

I have not seen your XDeleteProperty error before, so I cannot help you there, but I will comment that with Fedora you can get Qsampler from the CCRMA repositories. It is version 2.2, but unfortunately has only support for GIG, and not SFZ or SF2. To get those you must compile libgig, linuxsampler, and qsampler yourself. I might suggest googling XDeleteProperty by itself.

bipll

Post by bipll » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:17 am

Well, I finally figured out the answer (oh, my, good 48% linux software newbie question threads end in this phrase). The principal line to g**gle for was "/usr/lib64/libX11.so.6: could not read symbols: Invalid operation". They all advise to add `-lX11' somewhere in the configure/make line so that the compiler finally gets this option during the build process.
In my case ./configure script seemed to ignore the LIBS command-line parameter, and qsampler.pro is recreated automatically each time you run configure, so I opened qsampler.pro.in (perhaps it's not the most righteous place to put this in), and changed the line telling
LIBS += @ac_libs@
into this:
LIBS += @ac_libs@ -lX11
Now the whole thing seems to at least *compile*. I'll try installing it tonight.

bipll

Post by bipll » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:10 pm

Had some more issues with qsampler looking for liblscp.so.6 in /usr/lib64, while the lib installed into /usr/lib by default (with --prefix=/usr), lol. Configured liblscp with --libdir='${exec_prefix}/lib64' and rebuilt and reinstalled it, now qsampler starts and segfaults after two seconds.
Perhaps it's linuxsampler itself faults, I hate debugging.

bipll

Post by bipll » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:56 pm

varpa wrote:It is version 2.2, but unfortunately has only support for GIG, and not SFZ or SF2.
Which is embarrassing, cause I'd like to try OpenOctaveMidi, but their oomidi-template requires SFZ support.