linux sampler is not working

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
noisemaker

linux sampler is not working

Post by noisemaker » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:21 pm

hello,

i use ubuntu studio 11.04.. i have downloaded the latest linuxsampler sources and did the compile install procedure...
when i type "linuxsampler" into the terminal, i do get this result.. but nothing else happens

mark@noisemaker1:~$ linuxsampler
LinuxSampler 1.0.0
Copyright (C) 2003,2004 by Benno Senoner and Christian Schoenebeck
Copyright (C) 2005-2009 Christian Schoenebeck
Detected features: MMX SSE SSE2
Automatic Stacktrace: Off
Creating Sampler...OK
Registered sampler engines: 'GIG'
Registered MIDI input drivers: ALSA,JACK
Registered audio output drivers: ALSA,JACK
Loading instrument editor plugins...OK
Registered instrument editors:
Starting LSCP network server (0.0.0.0:8888)...OK
LinuxSampler initialization completed. :-)

I have also tried to install the so called Qsampler from the ubuntu studio repository software thing, but this did not help but results into similar erreor.

Alex

Re: linux sampler is not working

Post by Alex » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:59 pm

You've got half the job done.

What you see when starting with the command "linuxsampler" is the backend, or LS server.

This backend is waiting to be fed data, usually in the form of an .lscp file, which is a "template of data" you build yourself. You can do this in a LS frontend or User interface, like Qsampler, or the java frontends, Fantasia or JS classic.

So you've got the correct result so far. Start Linuxsampler, then open Qsampler, and start adding channels, assigning midi and audio inputs and outputs to the channel, and loading instruments. Save your new masterpiece as "pickaname.lscp". (meaning pick a name of your own choosing.
If you want to start the LS backend, and just feed it the .lscp file without opening the frontend again, you can do it with:

start linuxsampler as you have done, by typing:

linuxsampler

When the LS server is up and running, then feed it the .lscp file, by typing, in a new terminal, something like, and using the example i gave:

cat /path/to/the/location/of/the/pickaname.lscp | nc localhost 8888

So if your computer user name is "noisemaker", and you've put the .lscp in a folder in your home directory called "ls-files", then you might type something like:

cat /home/noisemaker/ls-files/pickaname.lscp | nc localhost 8888

This will load the .lscp data into the server.

To hook up the midi and audio ports to, for example, your midi keyboard, and audio outs to your system inputs, use something like qjackctl, or jack_control to bring up a GUI style interface, where you can connect ports.

Alex.

bpier

Re: linux sampler is not working

Post by bpier » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:40 pm

noisemake, linuxsampler works well on your machine. But, if you want to use it, I suggest that you install a frontend like qsampler or fantasia that you must launch separately, for selecting and manipulating gig files. You must so select audio and midi devices in the frontend and create connections in Jack. Look at the normal log on console, here on my blog : http://www.bruynooghe.fr/post/2011/09/0 ... -sur-Linux
Core 2 duo E4300, 2Go RAM, motherboard Gigabyte, Nvidia 7950GT, distribution Tango Studio 1.1 (based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, but optimized for audio applications). My site : http://www.bruynooghe.fr