Server crash upon startup on Vista (RegCloseKey)

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
BeanOnAHill

Server crash upon startup on Vista (RegCloseKey)

Post by BeanOnAHill » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi folks,

I'm a new not-quite-yet-user of LinuxSampler and I'm running on a Vista SP2 machine (I know, I know; unfortunately money and space are tight these days, and the _old_ Linux machine in the basement doesn't quite have the power... I've got to run on the family PC)

I installed using the "linuxsampler_20110920_setup" package. I read the Windows HOWTO, but when I try to launch the "LinuxSampler 1.0.0.svn15 (stand alone backend) before launching the GUI, I get the expected "DOS" window, but immediately followed by an error dialog containing:

"The procedure entry point RegCloseKey could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll"

The HOWTO said that LinuxSampler will download and install any other software on which it will depend. I think I had Java 6 on here already. The only thing I am not sure about is the ASIO driver. My sound driver on this Dell PC is "Realtek High Definition Audio", but I am not sure how to tell whether it supports ASIO. In any case, I wouldn't expect the absence of ASIO to cause this crash. KERNEL32 is a Windows component; it just sounds like there is some mismatch somewhere on the calling side.

Now, I have a bit of a s/w background, though of course at this point, I know nothing about LS internals. I Googled the error message, and found the following, which seems to match my computer's OS configuration (64-bit Vista):

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=de ... tid=983354

While I use C++ at work (mainly on the Solaris/Unix side, though) and I _have_ used Cygwin and MinGW on Windows, I was sort-of hoping to just do some music this time ;-) But if the answer is to d/l the source package and build LS from scratch (after loading up some development tools on this machine in order to further annoy my family, of course!), then OK.

Thanks in advance for any hints/advise.

Chuck

Andreas
Developer

Re: Server crash upon startup on Vista (RegCloseKey)

Post by Andreas » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the tip you found on google. Please test the latest build, linuxsampler_20111020_setup.exe. I have updated the mingw64 binaries on our build system hoping that this will solve the problem.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:08 pm

It seems as my build system upgrade caused other problems. The build was unstable when I did a quick test - it caused fantasia to hang and also hang during loading of some gig files. I've renamed it to "NOT_WORKING" at the download directory.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:29 pm

The hang when loading gigs was a bug in mingw-w64, which is fixed now. The ASIO problem turned out not to be a problem at all - it was a direct x wrapper driver in my system that opened a dialog behind Fantasia that fooled me. The behavior wasn't new for the new build either.

So, please test linuxsampler_20111023_setup.exe and report if the RegCloseKey error is gone or not.