No Sustain (hold 1) pedal?

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
wdubois

No Sustain (hold 1) pedal?

Post by wdubois » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:52 pm

At the risk of asking in incredibly stupid question...

Is there anything odd (or perhaps buggy) about the sustain pedal action in LS?

I've just spent the better part of last weekend installing (and playing with) the latest linuxsampler suite out of cvs. One of the first samples I tried Mats Helgesson's stellar Maestro Concert Grand v2 library and at first thought sustain wasn't working at all, but later noticed that, as long as at least one key was held, the sustain would fucntion normally. However, if one held the pedal and then say, struck a chord on the keyboard, no sustain.

I've tried both qsampler and jsampler looking in vain for some option that I may be overlooking.

Can someone possibly point me in the right direction? I"m using an old Roland D-50 as a master keyboard (for now) and have tested the pedal with a myriad of other software, so I know all is well in the MIDI chain. It works with all other soft synths that I plug in.

I'm running Ubuntu Studio 7.10 with a 3.<something> GHz P4, 1G memory and gobs and gobs of disk space. (I can be more specific if it matters but I'm at work right now and not at my home system.) As mentioned above, the LS system is fresh out of CVS.

Any ideas?

wdubois

Re: No Sustain (hold 1) pedal?

Post by wdubois » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:53 pm

Ok... No immediate thoughts, eh?

Could someone at least verify that the MIDI Sustain works on their system as described above? That will give me an idea that it's probably something within my setup or software. (I'm just trying to determine that my efforts are not in vain! :D )

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:08 pm

I wish I could help you to find out, but my sustain and pedal is currently broken on my Roland piano. :cry:

But from what you've observed there might be something up with the MCGv2 programming in regards to sustain.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

wdubois

Post by wdubois » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:32 pm

I suppose that's possible. I tried looking at the samples with gigedit, but I'm a newbie with gig-format as well, so I didn't see anything that immediately jumped out at me. One thing I have noticed, however, was that the Mellotron samples from Worra's site exhibit the same symptoms. Until and unless I can find samples that act (in my mind) correctly, I really don't know if it's: The samples, the program/library, my hardware doing something extremely strange or unrealistic expectations on the part of the operator ;) .

On the flip side, I love the sound of the MCGv2. Easily the best free piano samples I've encountered, especially with respect to the velocity scaling. They just feel right somehow. If I could only get the sustain to work...

<sigh>

Alanpasi

Post by Alanpasi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:18 am

Hi
Here the MIDI sustain is working fine.

LinuxSampler 0.5.1.4cvs (Maestro Concert Grand v2)
jackd 0.109.2
ALSA 1.0.16
Roland PC-200 MK II
MIDISport UNO

Alanpasi

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:49 am

The only thing that comes to my mind is to check whether your pedal acts like a sostenuto pedal instead of a sustain pedal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sostenuto_pedal

arus

Post by arus » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:43 pm

Do You use jack midi or alsa midi ?
I have noticed similar thing - pitch wheel has no effect when I use jack midi (LS do receives appropriate events according to debugging output but sounds remain unaffected). It works fine with alsa midi.
Not retested with latest cvs.

wdubois

Post by wdubois » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:52 pm

Arus:
I typically use Jack MIDI. Interesting ... I hadn't considered that. I'll try just using ALSA and report back.

grishata:
I hadn't considered that. Unfortunately, I just installed and ran kmidimon and it seems that I am, in fact, sending a '64' (MIDI sustain) message. Great idea, though. Thanks.