too high latency

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
Ivosh

too high latency

Post by Ivosh » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:49 pm

Hi, I'm running on debian lenny. Successfully installed all the packages and configured Jsampler. Only problem is, that it takes more then 0.5 sec to hear the sound after pressing a key on my midi keyboard. I can't play if I hear something different. My audio system is alsa, I'm running on Asus netbook EEEpc, but system seems to not be overloaded.

Thanks for your help. Ivosh.

Alex

Re: too high latency

Post by Alex » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:25 am

Ivosh,
In order to get lower levels of latency, you'll need to use an RT kernel. (At the moment, the kernel team are busy building into the vanilla kernel some of the components required for RT use, so this may be the default sooner rather than later.)

On average, using a non-RT kernel, and Alsa as the audio/midi device will give you about 170ms of latency (approx, and this varies). This is, quite naturally, pointless for live playing.

See your distro for details on how to build and setup an RT kernel (unless they have one ready to go), and research the JACK audio/midi server. This is a professional quality server to manage your sound and midi requirements, and is essential to using multiple apps at once, at low latency.

This is NOT jsampler, or Linuxsampler's doing, but the core sound system you're using.

You could also have a look at linux distros that cater specifically for audio/video work, like AVlinux, or 64Studio. (64studio is loosely based on Ubuntu, but has been extensively tweaked for audio use.) I don;t know of any debian based audio distros, but if you ask in the debian forums, and their irc, you may find something that will suit your needs better.

Alex.

Ivosh

Re: too high latency

Post by Ivosh » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks for your help. I have installed 64 studio beta 3 and downloaded Fantasia 0.9. Now latency is okay, but sound is horible. Is there a way to make sound clean?

I updated system, tried to raise latency, but nothing helped.