How to create instruments database?!??!!!?

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
jonathanbrickman0000

How to create instruments database?!??!!!?

Post by jonathanbrickman0000 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:43 am

Am running AVLinux, based on Debian testing. QSampler locked up a lot, so I tried JSampler Fantasia. Got error popups. First I got:

Code: Select all

Updating database directory:  Cannot open instruments database:  /var/lib/linuxsampler/instruments.db
So I created directory /var/lib/linuxsampler, set it to group ownership 'audio', set it to g=rwx. QSampler locks up a lot less, but still a bit; JSampler gave me this:

Code: Select all

Updating database directory:  DB error:  no such table:  instr_dirs
How do I create this database???!???!

J.E.B.

ccherrett
Advanced User

Re: How to create instruments database?!??!!!?

Post by ccherrett » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:42 am

the whole /var/lib/linuxsampler/instruments.db is new so I am not sure what is happening because I do not use it. However:

linuxsampler --create-instruments-db my_instruments.db

and

linuxsampler --instruments-db-location my_instruments.db

will work for you. I use fantasia only for tweaking and start linuxsampler command line from a script
So once the setup is done I do not use the gui anymore.
Christopher Cherrett
Founder of The Open Octave Project
http://www.openoctave.org

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:12 am

jonathanbrickman0000 wrote: So I created directory /var/lib/linuxsampler, set it to group ownership 'audio', set it to g=rwx.
J.E.B.
And then in Fantasia choose Window/Instruments Database and in the Instruments Database window choose Actions/Format Database.

browny_amiga

Post by browny_amiga » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:54 am

So this is still massively broken:
Why doesn't it create that directory? Any other tool will happily create any . directory.

Then formating it works, BUT when I add an instrument to it, then it hangs forever with the message
"Updating database directories"

I just added one single instrument to it. Is this feature just broken and nobody ever uses it?