Tips desperately needed!! Midi controls...

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
barbarbaron

Tips desperately needed!! Midi controls...

Post by barbarbaron » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:53 am

Hello

I've been using linuxsampler for a time now but I generally used it for popular music arrangements till now. And now I have an orchestral job in front of me and I have to master a few key concepts so here it goes:

1. How can I control the volume of an individual channel by means of midi automation? (from a keyboards modulation wheel or from rosegarden's automation tracks)
2. Is it possible to have more than two Jack channels in linuxsampler outputs? How?
3. Can someone explain me the midi maps and how to use them? Are they useful for my project?

My versions: linuxsampler 1.0, fantasia 0.9, libgig 3.3

Thanks to everyone who will answer these questions!

cuse
Developer

Re: Tips desperately needed!! Midi controls...

Post by cuse » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:54 pm

barbarbaron wrote:1. How can I control the volume of an individual channel by means of midi automation? (from a keyboards modulation wheel or from rosegarden's automation tracks)
You can send a normal MIDI CC7 to control the volume of the individual channels, or you can edit the .gig files with gigedit to define a new MIDI controller for controlling the volume.
barbarbaron wrote:2. Is it possible to have more than two Jack channels in linuxsampler outputs? How?
Yes, of course that's possible. Just access the device management panel (either of qsampler or Fantasia), select the JACK audio device and increase the output channels with the respective spinbox.
barbarbaron wrote:3. Can someone explain me the midi maps and how to use them? Are they useful for my project?
MIDI instrument maps can be used to switch to arbitrary instruments (including desired volume adjustment for example!) when receiving arbitrary bank select + program change MIDI message pairs. The details are actually a more complex topic. I'm not sure if somebody already wrote a Howto or something, but you can read the respective section in the LSCP specs to get an idea how the MIDI instrument map mechanism works:
http://www.linuxsampler.org/api/lscp-1. ... %20Mapping

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:04 pm

barbarbaron wrote: 3. Can someone explain me the midi maps and how to use them? Are they useful for my project?
Also take a look at MIDI Instruments

barbarbaron

Post by barbarbaron » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:24 pm

Thanks everybody for the tips! works great...