Need guidance on next install steps ..

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
pedrocortez

Need guidance on next install steps ..

Post by pedrocortez » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:28 pm

Hi All,

I'm carefully trying to build and insall LS on my Hardy 8.04 machine ( old p4 1.8Ghz box )
I'm doing this to get familiar with installing before I build my new PC from scratch with LS, Ardour , Rosegarden and few other goodies installed.

I've removed the old Ubuntu packages and have downloaded all the source files i need.

after following the excellent Debian How to, I now have the following situation

* liblinuxsampler 0.5.1. i386 installed OK
* liblinuxsampler-dev 0.5.1 i386 installed OK
* linuxsampler 0.5.1 i 386 installed OK

libgig 3.2.1-1 i386 installed
libgig-dev 3.2.1-1 i 386 installed
gigtools 3.2.1-1 installed

I've then locked these versions and associated packages in synaptic ( even though Hardy was trying to get me to "upgrade" )

First question :
when I call Linuxsampler from console i get everything looking OK , except i dont see any audio option for JACK alongside ALSA ?

pete@pete-desktop:~$ linuxsampler
LinuxSampler 0.5.1
Copyright (C) 2003,2004 by Benno Senoner and Christian Schoenebeck
Copyright (C) 2005-2007 Christian Schoenebeck
Detected features: MMX SSE SSE2
Creating Sampler...OK
Registered sampler engines: 'GIG'
Registered MIDI input drivers: ALSA
Registered audio output drivers: ALSA
Loading instrument editor plugins...OK
Registered instrument editors:
Starting LSCP network server (0.0.0.0:8888)...OK
LinuxSampler initialization completed. :-)

Second Question

as i removed Qsamper fully from Ubuntu before building and installing according to the Debian Howto, I am not sure what to do next to get a working GUI for Linuxsampler

I'd like to get both front ends installed and Gigedit too, but not quite sure of how to proceed ( i need a bit of a step by step ) . I'm new to Linux but trying to learn fast ! building and installing he first 6 .deb packages was fascinating , if a little mindblowing. ( I'm a simple guitar player after all ! )

Can anyone help guide me through the next steps towards a fully working LS installation ?

All hand-holding and advice very much appreciated

I got this far so quite pleased nevertheless !!!

Many thanks
Pete C

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Re: Need guidance on next install steps ..

Post by ggoodesa » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:57 am

Hi Pete,

It's great that you've gotten so far already with Ubuntu 8.04 and LinuxSampler, well done!

Now regarding Question 1... did you have the jackd development library installed when you compiled linuxsampler? If you didn't, then Jack support will not be present in your build. You will then need to install libjack development (I think it's libjack-dev), and then recompile and re-install.
If you did have the jackd development library installed, are you running the Jack Audio Connection Kit before you run LinuxSampler?

Regarding Question 2... My suggestion is to run the Fantasia front-end, for which you will need to have Java JRE (Jave Runtime Environment) installed. You can then download the Fantasia Jsampler jar from http://www.linuxsampler.org/downloads.html then read the Jsampler how-to at http://linuxsampler.org/jsampler/manual ... mpler.html. This will show you how to run Fantasia from a script, and how to create an application launcher in the Gnome panel (so you can just click on the Icon and run everything). if you want to use Qsampler instead, then you can build the latest version from cvs (cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxsampler.org:/var/cvs/linuxsampler \ co qsampler). Once built and installed you can use the same information from the jSampler How-To to create an application launcher in the Ubuntu Gnome panel.

Hope this helps!
GrahamG
Johannesburg, South Africa

pedrocortez

Post by pedrocortez » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:08 pm

Thanks Graham,

appreciate the feedback - hopefully you can stay with me on this one....

Here is the situation....

1) I checked synaptic - unfortunately I dont have libjack-dev installed ! I have 0.109.2-1 jack installed in Ubuntu
I see 2 different libjack options in synaptic - one is called just libjack-dev, and the other is called libjack 0.100.0-dev , so I'm not sure which to install.

next question is - will I have to build all my deb packages from scratch ? - if so do I just remove completely using synaptic and start building debs again with the cvs source folders ?

I'm assuming that the 3 debs for gigtools and libgig etc will be oK as they are - just that i need to rebuild the 3 linuxsampler debs ?

I tried to build lscp last night and it kept exiting and giving me an error to do with my config line in deb/rules. need to run again and capture the error log.

meantime thanks for the help - I'm determined to get there !

Rgds
Pete

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi again Pete,
Yup, you can remove the Debs using Synaptic (or just unlock them so you can install the new builds) and then rebuild using the same CVS folders. I can't remember which Jack dev off the top of my head, but I'd assume libjack 0.100.0-dev (though they might be dependent on each other in which case they'll both install).
Redo the linuxsampler cvs and install the three debs that result and then test and let us know...
GrahamG

pedrocortez

Post by pedrocortez » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:53 pm

many thanks Graham,

I'm working away for next 2 days so will try on Thursday .....

then I'm in the States for 2 weeks so no tweaking for a while then.

cheers
Pete

pedrocortez

Post by pedrocortez » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:32 pm

hmmmm..

I've reinstalled the 3 linuxsampler debs but having some challenges installing liblscp...ahead of installing Qsampler front end.

any ideas what i need to do....?

pete@pete-desktop:~/Desktop/linuxsampler$ sudo dpkg -i liblscp_0.5.5-1_i386.deb
[sudo] password for pete:
Selecting previously deselected package liblscp.
dpkg: regarding liblscp_0.5.5-1_i386.deb containing liblscp:
liblscp2 conflicts with liblscp
liblscp (version 0.5.5-1) is to be installed.
dpkg: error processing liblscp_0.5.5-1_i386.deb (--install):
conflicting packages - not installing liblscp
Errors were encountered while processing:
liblscp_0.5.5-1_i386.deb
pete@pete-desktop:~/Desktop/linuxsampler$ sudo dpkg -i liblscp-dev_0.5.5-1_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package liblscp-dev.
(Reading database ... 181911 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking liblscp-dev (from liblscp-dev_0.5.5-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of liblscp-dev:
liblscp-dev depends on liblscp (= 0.5.5-1); however:
Package liblscp is not installed.
dpkg: error processing liblscp-dev (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
liblscp-dev
pete@pete-desktop:~/Desktop/linuxsampler$

cheers
Pete

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:33 am

Hi Pete,
My guess would be to follow the steps outlined in viewtopic.php?f=6&t=264 and include liblscp2 and liblscp in the list of things to completely uninstall... What version of Ubuntu Linux are you using?
Qsampler does not have as much functionality as Fantasia does, so I would really recommend installing Sun Java JRE and using Fantasia...
GrahamG

pedrocortez

Post by pedrocortez » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:17 pm

Hi Graham/All,

update after returning from vacation and re-attempting LS install from cvs files on another Ubuntu studio partition.

Ive installed LS on my Ubuntu Studio machine with RT kernel and all went smoothly as can be.
runs well alongside Ardour
using Jack and playing real time from roland midi keyboard
using fantasia for front end.

I only have piano giga files at moment so now searching for some nice giga samples and free patches.
If its gets lots of use i will be buying some giga files second hand off ebay i think.

any good links to free patches - particularly any strings ??

Rgds and thanks for help so far
Pete

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:44 am

pedrocortez wrote:any good links to free patches - particularly any strings ??
You can start here:

http://bb.linuxsampler.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11

But for strings, not really.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux