"Asio initialization error" on WinXP

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
Clearscreen

"Asio initialization error" on WinXP

Post by Clearscreen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:23 am

is anybody getting this error on startup of jsampler/qsampler under winxp pro 32bit? it's registered as bug #91 but it's twelve months old and there doesn't seem to have been much in the way of activity on it.
also, the vst's telling me i don't have libgigedit-1.dll when i try to load it despite it being in the '32' folder of the install...
any suggestions/fixes?

ps - you should maybe think about making it a little bit easier to post here and in the bug section. all the registering etc to post about a problem is a bit off putting! in particular it took me about 6 goes to get past the authorisation setup for the forum - in the end i 'think' it was having the word 'Linux' in the question in EXACTLY the right case that was tripping me up, but frankly it didn't encourage me to persevere seeing i'm trying to help here...

cuse
Developer

Re: "Asio initialization error" on WinXP

Post by cuse » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:53 am

The registration is necessary to prevent spam. At the beginning we just had the confirmation code images to sort out spam bots, but even that way we had about 10 bots / day registering themselves successfully and posting spam. Nobody gets paid here, so nobody is able to spend an hour or more to delete spam on the forum (and on the bug tracking system). The project specific confirmation question however completely eliminated all bot registrations (so far).

What I could do however is to ease the answer of the confirmation question. Would it be sufficient the answer to be case insensitive matching? Or do you even say the question per se is too hard or something?

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:39 am

i see your point about the bots - didn't realise it was that bad!
the question ain't too hard, but i think having it exactly case sensitive to 'Linux' was the problem... i assumed i was reading the code wrong as i knew the answer to the question but kept getting bounced anyway - i imagine you can see where the frustration'd come from. maybe you should test register a few times and see what i mean? it could be i'm just an idiot, and it's your board so do as you see fit i guess, but i've never had this much trouble registering to any other forum so thought i'd give you some (hopefully constructive) feedback about it - thanks for the reply :)

dougal2
User

Post by dougal2 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:51 pm

The case-sensitivity is not very obvious. I got it wrong first time.

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:52 pm

dougal2 wrote:The case-sensitivity is not very obvious. I got it wrong first time.
Touche. I made it a case-insensitive match now. Thanks for your hint.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:43 am

any word on the bug?

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Clearscreen wrote:any word on the bug?
None of the developers have been able to reproduce the problem. There haven't been any progress.

I built a version of LS with debug logging enabled in the ASIO driver: http://download.linuxsampler.org/~perss ... -debug.zip. Can you please try that one, and send me the output from linuxsampler.exe when you try to create an ASIO device?
also, the vst's telling me i don't have libgigedit-1.dll when i try to load it despite it being in the '32' folder of the install...
That's weird. Can you check if you have the 32 folder in your PATH environment variable? (The installer should have set that for you).

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:03 am

first up - thanks for the reply. i'm happy to help out where i can.
Andreas wrote:I built a version of LS with debug logging enabled in the ASIO driver: http://download.linuxsampler.org/~perss ... -debug.zip. Can you please try that one, and send me the output from linuxsampler.exe when you try to create an ASIO device?
ok, i've run this but i can't copy and paste the text out of the linuxsampler window for - is there a debug file generated somewhere that i haven't found yet?
i can tell you that it's finding and naming the three available asio drivers fine when i start jsampler, but it repeatedly attempts to connect to the first one in the list, fails and then stops (error:ASIO initialization error) instead of moving on to the others. the firewire (ESI quatafire 610) card it attempts to connect to hasn't been plugged in at any of the times i've started jsampler so i might try it later on with that card plugged in and see what happens.
Andreas wrote:That's weird. Can you check if you have the 32 folder in your PATH environment variable? (The installer should have set that for you).
happy to check this, but where should look? do you mean in the registry, or is there a variables file somewhere?

something else just occurred to me - am i trying to load the right dll as a vst plugin? i'm using the one in the plugins folder inside the 32 folder, is this corect? shouldn't i be asked during install where to install the vst? that didn't happen so i'm not sure it's in the right place or that it's even properly installed.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:49 am

DOH! scratch the second part, i did a fresh install and found the vst in the default folder all by itself and it's working fine.
still got the asio problem when using it standalone though.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:52 am

Clearscreen wrote:ok, i've run this but i can't copy and paste the text out of the linuxsampler window
Start linuxsampler by first opening a Command Prompt and then type

linuxsampler > logfile.txt

Then all output from linuxsampler is redirected to a file.