arg--feeling massively newb

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
davidicus

arg--feeling massively newb

Post by davidicus » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:48 am

i hope someone can help. i had this working on another pc a few years ago, but i've clearly forgotten anything i once knew. trying to get around Fantasia on Windows 7. any tutorials i've found haven't really helped.

1) do i need to use the Instrument Database? the panel is blank and largely unresponsive. if i use Window -> Instruments Database, and try to Add Instruments -> From Directory, i point to the .gig files on my server and click OK but the window just sits there until i click Cancel, so that's fun.

2) do i need to use Orchestras? if they're just a confusingly named way to file groups of instruments together, then i suspect not?

3) i seem to be able to load an instrument successfully in the center rack--not sure what Instrument Map to specify, if any. is one required? i hope not, since there are none listed. Audio Output options are empty, which may be related to my biggest confusions:

4) my only MIDI Devices panel Driver option is MME. this doesn't correspond to the tutorials i've seen, so i already feel i'm on shaky ground. the Create button is inactive, and shouldn't i be able to light the power button in the upper left?

5) Audio Devices panel: neither ASIO4ALL nor BR-80 (my preferred audio device) allow me to specify Channels, Fragments, or Samplerate (not that i'd know how, frankly) and the Create button is, again, disabled. no idea how to address this or 'power' the panel up.

rrichard63

Re: arg--feeling massively newb

Post by rrichard63 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:09 am

These questions were posted on April 7 (60 days ago) and have been viewed over 100 times. The absence of any response is not a good omen.

By the way, I am just starting out and having a similar experience.

janflorijn
User

Post by janflorijn » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi,

1. No.
2. No.
3. You can load an instrument, but have to connect this with audio and midi. You experience question/problem adding these.
4. It is adviced to use these MME midi devices. This would not say you are ready. I suppose you have a sequencer and you want to sent midi messages tot Linuxsampler. So, first start with adding a midi device -assign a instrument to it- and later solve the problem to connect with sequencer.
5. At his point I do not know I help you. I experience the same problem, when using JackRouter. It should be possible to choose an audio driver and a audio device.

Can you select Driver ASIO when adding a audio device in Fantasia?
Do you use Jackrouter?
Do you use ASIO4ALL?

Kind regards,

JanFlorijn

janflorijn
User

Post by janflorijn » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:23 pm

rrichard63 wrote:These questions were posted on April 7 (60 days ago) and have been viewed over 100 times. The absence of any response is not a good omen.

By the way, I am just starting out and having a similar experience.
I understand your frustration. On the other hand: I have reacted on serveral posts, and nobody does a response.

So why react on posts?

JanFlorijn