What's the latest on unpacking large SampleTekk .gig files?

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
ScottW

What's the latest on unpacking large SampleTekk .gig files?

Post by ScottW » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:34 am

I recently purchased the SampleTekk White Grand for download only. When unpacking the .rar's it extracts (among other things) a lot of .wav files, and skeletal .g{ig,x01,x02} files where all of the samples contain zeros instead of valid wav data. One needs to then replace the empty samples in the .gigs with the .wav data. The sum of the .gig files is >2GB.
gigedit has a menu option to "Replace all Samples in All Groups...", however this doesn't work for multipart .gig files. I've also tried updatebg5.cpp which I found referenced in one of the blog entries, and it didn't work, generating a Segmentation fault on the second gig file.
How are folks unpacking and building their large SampleTekk .gig files these days?

varpa
User

Re: What's the latest on unpacking large SampleTekk .gig fil

Post by varpa » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:14 pm

I have bought some gig files from Sampletekk, and always asked for the actual gig files which they sent on DVDs (don't know why they can't make these available for direct download, however). However, Sampletekk always messed up my orders on the 2 occasions I bought from them, such as sending me the wrong files which they did correct by eventually sending the correct stuff, though often with very long time delays, like 6+ weeks. (They sent DVDs from Sweden to the US by seemingly the slowest possible mail option). I've been quite happy with their files, but one must be very patient with them, because they do not seem to be very well organized. On the other hand on both occasions they sent me free stuff to make up for their errors. Actually, on my last order I attempted to purchase the gig of the Sevens Seas grand, small version, which they never did send, and I just gave up after awhile. So I suggest you ask them to send the actual gig file since that is what you ordered. It also looks like they are switching everything over to Kontakt format so probably this nice option to get gig files which play well with linuxsampler will be soon be gone.

ScottW

Re: What's the latest on unpacking large SampleTekk .gig fil

Post by ScottW » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks for the reply (as well as from last January!). Guess I was hoping for some tool that I could use from the already downloaded and purchased files. Like you say, it could be a while before getting the right format file from SampleTekk. I hope SampleTekk doesn't go Kontact exclusively. Though I don't know much about it, it can't be as open as .gig.
(edit for some awful spelling).