i just would like to say hi. ~ waves ~

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
SoundGoddess

i just would like to say hi. ~ waves ~

Post by SoundGoddess » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:43 am

i am hathor and i am PLUR. i am a goddess of dance and music.

it has been a rather rough ride descending back down to this money-driven timeline to come help free more people.

i feel like you guys are in alignment with PLUR. i am going through the transition process to start participating in this arena.

i tried installing the windows version of the sampler, but it is missing some library, and i have not had a chance to debug it yet. i also read your licensing agreement exception and got off on a tangent trying to wrap my head around the whole GPL licensing scheme and if open source software really is the best avenue to freeing people here.

i have come back around to OSI's way of thinking about source code, although i really do completely understand where you're coming from with GPL+exception, as you can read about here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogrammin ... g_license/

i have many ideas, and will share a couple of the proposal/thought/suggestions that i have for this project. i'm not showing up here to ruffle feathers; i'm showing up here to align with you guys in a harmonious way. we're on the same team, let's work together :)

If Stallman can play the wordsmithing game then so can i, but my goal isn't to pick a fight with him, my goal is to bring PLUR back into focus.

what i think could help end this weirdness around GPL and clear the air about this stuff would to come up with a gnU angle to the licensing scheme.

so i am going to redefine GNU, changing the acronym to gnU, as "good-natured UNITY". to put a stronger emphasis on the idea of UNITY, as in the African philosophy of Ubuntu. this is to make an explicit distinction, with a simple capitalization of a letter.

perhaps this will help wake up the gnU movement a bit, to get out of silliness like "GNU/Linux", and arguments over the definition of the word "free".

what is our objective here, really? to nitpick about things or to raise people's vibration so that they can break free? free as in FREEDOM, not beer or lunch or speech, but FREEDOM...from being trapped in a lower vibrational state, being stuck in a timeline that revolves itself entirely around money.

"GNU is not Unix" ... does that really help the cause?
"gnU is good~natured UNITY." ... which sounds better to you?

i know which one i'm going to go with. the one that helps the most people. i didn't come here to pussyfoot around, i came here to help people break out of money-driven timelines and raise their vibrational states.

so I am thinking really, no discrimination, as per OSI's policy. i need to be in alignment with OSI, or my efforts here will be in vein.

here is a prototype of something i have been working on -

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/sfz-ins ... thors-love

this indexes all of the philharmonia orchestral samples into a sqlite database, downloads them, converts them to WAV and then allows one to easily generate velocity-sensitive SFZ's. i haven't focused on doing much more with the SFZ it spits out, because it's apparent to me that the majority of my intended audience isn't using win 7+, so i've shifted gears into getting on board with c++/qt so that i can focus on cross-platform stuff.

i'm currently running win 8.1 and have VirtualBox with Xubuntu 13.10 running in seamless mode. i like win 8.1, and i like Xubuntu, so i got them to play nice together, and i think that's what i'm all about.

i have no kids, no day job, just skills and a passion. my energy will flow towards whatever i feel is most in alignment with PLUR, and to me you guys are it right now, as my initial foray into open-source software. i am also working on some music, of course.

in an effort to reduce my tendency for verbosity, i shall leave it at this. ;)

~ peace ~ love ~ unity ~ respect ~

dbolton

Re: i just would like to say hi. ~ waves ~

Post by dbolton » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:23 am

Nice project. I'll have to give it a try the next time I log into Windows.

Do you plan to release the source code?

SoundGoddess

Re: i just would like to say hi. ~ waves ~

Post by SoundGoddess » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:42 pm

dbolton wrote:Nice project. I'll have to give it a try the next time I log into Windows.

Do you plan to release the source code?
I'm not sure yet. I want to support open~source for certain things but other things might be worth keeping proprietary. I should have more clarity about where to draw the lines in a few more weeks once I've figured out a bit more about how everything is structured.