Getting LS to work again after 10+ years

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
MaSchl

Getting LS to work again after 10+ years

Post by MaSchl » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:54 pm

Hey there!

I just installed LS again after 10 years or so, it used to work great, but now there are problems.

I work in Reaper and opened an old project that requires LS - so I installed it. Then, the project would open with said DB error and a missing .linuxsampler (?) directory, which I created. I couldn't add LS to the VSTis in Reaper, because it didn't react. Opening the old project though, LS popped up and complained about said errors, even though I couldn't find LS anywhere in the VSTis.

I formatted the DB and tried to add instruments - one single time it seemed to work, but got stuck at "Updating databse directories". Later on, I found it actually did add instruments to the DB, but didn't say so, but the folders were wrong (I was testing what worked and what didn't, accidentally found out nonexistent folders need to be entered as "/foldername") and a new folder apparently can't be renamed. Reformatted DB.

The VSTi also somehow seems to have found its way into Reaper by now, no idea how or when, but it's there. Adding instumends to the DB apparently causes a crash (tries connecting to backend and fails). Loading instruments directly into the UI works withot problems, but some organisational options would come in very handy.

Ist there a proven worklflow for this? Am I missing dependencies? I used the Windows installer.

Thanks!!

MaSchl

Re: Getting LS to work again after 10+ years

Post by MaSchl » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:22 am

It seems like every time I restart the computer, something new works again. A few days ago, I wasn't able to pick patches from the instrument files for the orchestas, now that works flawlessly.

So it seems like everything is back in order, just a matter of rebooting the system a couple of times or so...