Help with compile time settings for a Q6600 linux box

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
dronil

Help with compile time settings for a Q6600 linux box

Post by dronil » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:03 pm

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere, but since I am a real newbie/dummy with linux and linuxsampler, I'd really appreciate some guidance! (This is actually my first post to a bb ever, so please bear with me.)

Thing is, would someone recommend compile time settings for an Intel Q6600 (core2quad) 64-bit UbuntuStudio 8.04.1, 8Gbyte RAM system where increased polyphony is needed?

I've been trying to understand what settings to change but I am still very uncertain what settings should be changed to what degree and why...(as I said I am really ignorant to all this...). I've read the debian howto on the main site and most of the topics in this bb and I am still uncertain what to do...

I do have LS running today but want to increase polyphony and at the same time optimize for my hardware. I really like LS and will from now on take the linux path (abandoning MS$). I use it both for playing virtual piano and a virtual theater pipe organ (MiditZer) and it works great - but with Miditzer it seems I sometimes run out of polyphony (or is it voices?).

I have also been trying to find out what all compile time default (and min-max) settings and metrics are - is this documented somewhere?

Sorry if I sound confusing, hope you understand what I'm looking for...

Anyway, any input will be highly appreciated, for sure!

/dronil

ccherrett
Advanced User

Re: Help with compile time settings for a Q6600 linux box

Post by ccherrett » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:54 am

--enable-preload-samples=32768
--enable-max-streams=800
--enable-max-voices=760

That is what I have setup for my config. You set those variables when running ./configure.

So:

./configure --enable-preload-samples=32768 --enable-max-streams=800 --enable-max-voices=760

I cannot remember what exactly these options do although the names seem clear. You can search from there to get what you need. Your machine could easily handle these options I have and give you what you need. The settings here are used for my Orchestral setup so the organ should be nothing.

Let me know if I can help more!
Christopher Cherrett
Founder of The Open Octave Project
http://www.openoctave.org

dronil

Post by dronil » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:53 am

Thanks ccherrett!

I'll try your settings and let you know how it worked out.

About how many voices I would need, am I thinking correctly that with the organ I can play a max of 12 keys (5+5 fingers and 2 feet on the pedals) plus also the sub-octave keys and octave keys which would result in 12+12+12=36 (virtual pipes) sounding at the same time - for each and every rank (of pipes) available? So if I have a 10 rank organ with all ranks enabled this would result in 36 x 10 virtual pipes sounding?... for 20 rank organ with all ranks enabled this would result in 36 x 20 pipes sounding and so on...

Each rank is defined in a separate gig file which in turn is loaded as an instrument in linuxsampler into its own channel.
Is a linuxsampler voice the same as a single (virtual pipe)? If so, I would be ok with --enable-max-voices to (at least) 360 for a 10 rank organ, or...?

Well, I 'd really appreciate if you would comment/correct me on the above reasoning/conclusion.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

/dronil

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:36 pm

Sounds about right. You can test it and go from there. If it does not work crank it up :)

Here is the post from when I was trying to figure it out:

http://bb.linuxsampler.org/viewtopic.ph ... d6766b#p20

That should give a bit of background.

Talk to you soon!
Christopher Cherrett
Founder of The Open Octave Project
http://www.openoctave.org

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:42 pm

Here's also some information that might be of interest when changing the config settings:

http://bb.linuxsampler.org/viewtopic.ph ... p=229#p229
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

dronil

Post by dronil » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:37 pm

Thanks Anders, seems I really have to examine my gig files to find out how the samples are made up. Until now I've not paid much attention to them more than playing them...I know they are 16bit 48kHz though...

BTW, trying to force all samples into RAM, I added the PERSISTENT option to LOAD INSTRUMENT..... in my lscp script. I didn't notice any errors doing this, but can't really tell if it worked or not...

take care,

/dronil