Getting Linuxsampler to work with USB MIDI keyboard

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
d_darkness

Getting Linuxsampler to work with USB MIDI keyboard

Post by d_darkness » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:04 pm

Im new to ubuntu, and i've got linuxsampler installed, and im trying to connect my m-audio keystation 49e usb midi keyboard to the computer.
when writing lsusb in the terminal, i can see that the computer finds the usb devise.
Where to go now? What do i have to do to get the midi keyboard working, and set up things so that i can use it to play .gig files loaded up in qsampler?

I got it to work in windows with jsampler, but have to get it to work in ubuntu, and without jsampler.

Thanks

Alex

Re: Getting linuxsampler to work with usb midi keyboard

Post by Alex » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:12 pm

d_darkness,

I'll assume here that you have alsa and jack installed correctly, and you're using Qjackctl as the frontend (gui) for the jack server.

Open Qsampler and assign Alsa midi outputs, and jack audio outputs (for testing with). Go to jack, and check the alsa midi tab. Keyboard output should be on the left, and linuxsampler input on the right. Cable them together, and then check LSampler audio (in the audio tab) is cabled to your system output.

Get back here if you have a further problem.

Alex.

DarkWolf

Post by DarkWolf » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi, I'm in d_'s band, and we're working on this together :)

Now, I've got Jack and Qsampler working together, but we've got one huge problem, lag!

For some reason when I play the samples, they kind of crack every once in a while, more often then not too be honest.

Are there any tweaks or settings we're missing? Any tips?

I'm running it on a 8.9" Aspire One laptop, 1.6Ghz CPU (which runs on max 20% and I think it's a dual core - the new Atom) And 1.5Gig ram - it uses max 400 while running Firefox (with loads of tabs) Pidgin etc as well as of course Qsampler and Jack (And while testing I don't run the other programs). I'm running Xubuntu, and the files work fine while playing them through a media player.
Nobody is perfect, but I'm pretty fucking close!

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:28 pm

That's due to latency. You aren't running a real time kernel I presume?
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

DarkWolf

Post by DarkWolf » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:38 pm

I doubt that I am...

I've looked at things, and I noticed that the Xrun count's are insane... like 1 (14000) or something, I'm assuming that's not good?

DarkWolf

Post by DarkWolf » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:15 pm

It was just now at 1 (39000) and rising.

Latency in Jack is 2.90 msec

I'm downloading ubuntu studio

Edit: you are of course absolutely right! I don't have a real time kernel, I'm learning how to change that right now... :)

Cheers!