Dependencies and cognac....

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
Alex

Dependencies and cognac....

Post by Alex » Sun May 11, 2008 12:30 pm

After updating the 32bit UBStudio (Gutsy) for a brand spanking new 64bit U BStudio (Hardy), i've had quite a deal of fun, and excitement starting from scratch, and where possible installing everything from source (non-repository), instead of often out of date packages. so far so good, although Jack2 gave a few challenges. Still, sound is up and running, and the system is lean and hungry so far, as the saying goes.

The next challenge.
Libgig went in reasonably ok, after some swordfighting and savagery with a recalcitrant libgig6 file.

However, in the cvs linuxsampler install deb file stage, i get the following error:

"dh_shlibdeps # -L linuxsampler -l debian/linuxsampler/usr/lib/linuxsampler
dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: no dependency information found for /usr/lib/libjack.so.0 (used by debian/liblinuxsampler/usr/lib/linuxsampler/liblinuxsampler.so.1.1.0).
dh_shlibdeps: command returned error code 512
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: failure: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status"

I indeed have libjack installed, and in /usr/lib/libjack.so.0 , along with all the other jackettes required.

Any clues how to fix this, or 'link at deb fakeroot compile time' to see this particular path/file?
I've eradicated quite a few dependency challenges already, and i'd like to get past this one, and see what happens next. :mrgreen:
Alex.

p.s. On the bright side, pulseaudio was easy to crush and destroy, and remove completely from the system, so all is not lost.

"Never give up, never surrender!"
:shock:

Alex

Re: Dependencies and cognac....

Post by Alex » Sun May 11, 2008 1:49 pm

Ok, got this one sorted out.

I originally installed jack2 (jackmp) from source. but when i installed it again, after cleaning everything out and starting again, libjack seemed to 'take' this time.(And i have no doubt here, this was user error.) Once this was corrected, linuxsampler installed correctly with my optimisations, including an increased initial memory load, with a slight reduction in voices (down to 400) but a much better response, and reduced cpu load, when samples are streaming. (From a dummy's perspective, that being mine, i assume here that with a greater ram load per sample, it takes some heat off the disks, as fast as they are.) I recalculated how many voices i was using in a big orchestral arrangement, and it peaked at 360, so there's a bit of safety built in as well, for an even more improved performance.
Now for the rest of the apps.

Woohoo.

Alex.
:)