Blocked on simple gigedit question

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
jacob

Blocked on simple gigedit question

Post by jacob » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:10 am

I've been trying to learn how to use gigedit. So far i have not found it self explanatory.

I can load samples into "groups" but there are no options relating these to "instruments". The entire right side of the screen is greyed out where the "sample", "amplitude", "mandatory settings" and all other kinds of interesting things are. I've attached a screenshot: http://drop.io/aboutlinuxsampler/asset/screenshot

Any advice would be appreciated. Either there is something dead simple that i'm missing or the app is somehow not fully configured or something. There's not actually any documentation for this is there?

dahnielson

Re: Blocked on simple gigedit question

Post by dahnielson » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:02 pm

Yes, it's really simple. Here's what you do...
  • OK, so you have added the samples you need to the file. The groups are just a nicety so have them sorted, e.g. if you build a drum kit it's nice to have all snare drum samples in one group, kick in another and so on...
  • Now right-click in the gray area above the virtual keyboard. You will get a context menu with a single "add" entry, select it to create a new region. (Note that the previously grayed out area is now come to life.) You can now reposition the region and stretch it out over several keys.
  • To add a sample, select the region (if you already have created several) and drag a sample from the sample list and drop it on the "Sample" textbox on the Sample tab. You have now assigned a sample to the group.
  • To make velocity splits you need to add a velocity dimension. (If the sample you added above was in stereo a samplechannel dimension was automatically created.) Right click on the region, you will get a context menu, select the "Dimensions..." entry and a new window called "Dimensions of selected Region" will pop up. Click on the "Add" button and select the type of dimension ("130 Velocity" in this case) and the number of zones wanted. A new dimension is added beneath the virtual keyboard and you can resize the zones as you like. Select a zone and add a sample just like above, then select another zone and add another sample, and so on...
Some other posts regarding editing in Gigedit that might be of interest:
And the slightly incomplete documentation:

http://download.linuxsampler.org/doc/gi ... start.html

:D
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux