qsampler depends on libqt4-core (>= 4.2.2) problem on Etch

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
browny_amiga

qsampler depends on libqt4-core (>= 4.2.2) problem on Etch

Post by browny_amiga » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:24 pm

Hi all

I am new to linuxsampler and find it a wonderful thing. I intend to port all my music making away from Gigastudio that I run on WIndows currently, to Linux (which will perform more reliably).

I have been trying to setup linuxsampler with Debian etch and run into a snag:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of qsampler:
qsampler depends on libqt4-core (>= 4.2.2); however:
Version of libqt4-core on system is 4.2.1-2+etch1.
qsampler depends on libqt4-gui (>= 4.2.2); however:
Version of libqt4-gui on system is 4.2.1-2+etch1.
dpkg: error processing qsampler (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

libqt4-core and gui is not available at that high version on Etch, so I cannot install qsampler. This is a standard Debian Etch system, updated to the max.
I don't know how to solve this problem.

Markus

dahnielson

Re: qsampler depends on libqt4-core (>= 4.2.2) problem on Etch

Post by dahnielson » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:30 pm

If you serious about using LinuxSampler then you should use JSampler anyway as front end, it incorporates all of LS features and is more actively developed.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

browny_amiga

Re: qsampler depends on libqt4-core (>= 4.2.2) problem on Etch

Post by browny_amiga » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:34 am

Good to know that. I am compiling it now myself, but it is not easy, I always run into a snag somewhere, so far missing many -dev packages.
It would be nice if there would be a set of .deb packages that are Debian standards compliant (i486) ( I have just read a post that the illegal instruction error I get on a Kubuntu system is due to the debian package using the SSE instruction extention that some CPUs don't have (like mine) and work without breaking dependencies. It would be good for newbies just try Linuxsampler out. It will be still necessary to compile it by yourself, for speed and efficiency,but it would be a start.

Besides that, I applaud your effort and hope that Linux sampler is going strong in the future. The license restriction, of not allowing commercial usage I can totally understand. GPL is nice and right, but if LS is to become good, we can just wait till some company will start exploiting it in some commercial product that you will not see a cent from.

Markus