problem creating sound device

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
mconstant

problem creating sound device

Post by mconstant » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:09 am

Hi. I am using linuxsampler and Qsampler with PureDyne. I am compiling a module so that any user can run these programs, and Jsampler, with a LiveCD multimedia distro. I have compiled everything, and linuxsampler starts and smiles at me :) . After that, I open qsampler. I can create an ALSA MIDI device, and see it in the Jack MIDI connections menu in Qjackctl. I can't create an audio device, using either ALSA or Jack, though. It makes linuxsampler give me a segmentation fault. Any ideas? :roll:

cuse
Developer

Re: problem creating sound device

Post by cuse » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:50 am

Probably you have some kind of ABI incompatibilty. Have you compiled all subprojects yourself? E.g. if you recompiled LS, you should also recompile gigedit, otherwise gigedit could have left an ABI incompatible plugin .so file in LS's plugins directory and thus cause LS to crash. If your're building packages for your distribution, you should install the respective package immediately before proceeding to compile the next LS subproject, because e.g. if you compile LS, it will be dependant to the exact version of libgig you actually have installed on your system. Trying to use install your LS package on a machine that has another libgig version than the one you compiled LS against will fail. Also make sure you don't have libraries installed twice. Some people e.g. accidently have two versions of libgig installed, one under /usr/local and one under /usr which also causes a lot of trouble and confusion.

The recommended order to compile the LS pets is:

1. libgig
2. linuxsampler
3. gigedit

And then you can compile the frontend(s). In case of QSampler, make sure you compile liblscp before QSampler and again, install liblscp before compiling QSampler!

If that all doesn't help, try to gather a stack trace of the crash and open a bug report, so we can investigate that issue.

mconstant

Post by mconstant » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Oops! Do I _need_ gigedit? I haven't compiled it...

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:21 am

No, you don't need to build gigedit to run linuxsampler + qsampler.