Could someone give me a reality check on something?

Everything and anything, but nothing about the LinuxSampler project.
Consul

Could someone give me a reality check on something?

Post by Consul » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:29 pm

Okay, say you're doing a real-time FFT on an input signal. It doesn't matter what it might be at the moment. An FFT, if I read all of the descriptions correctly (I'm going by what my copy of the Csound Book tells me), basically splits a time-domain signal up into a (fairly large) number of bins across the frequency domain, with the strength of the signal for that slice of the frequency domain contained within each bin.

First off, how often is that amplitude-per-bin information updated? (I would assume it updates at the audio rate, otherwise you're losing a lot of information). This is a digression, though, and not really a part of the point of this post.

Now, in-between the FFT and its inverse, you can manipulate those bins directly. Which means that multiplying a selection of bins by a coefficient, perhaps determined by a cubic curve or something even more interesting? Also, if you wanted, couldn't one add information to bins that contain very little or no info at all?

In theory, with fine-grained enough bins, you could simulate just about any kind of filter in existence.

Here's another thought I've had: Could one do an FFT on a signal, and then do the inverse several times across smaller ranges of bins, ie, split 1024 bins into four sets of 256, and get four new signals separated by frequency? Just how atomic can one get with FFT?

Thanks for the help!
Darren Landrum

lowkey
User

Re: Could someone give me a reality check on something?

Post by lowkey » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:31 am

Basically we live in FFT world. It's used for a surprising amount of stuff. If you can think of an application it's most likely used for it.

Consul

Post by Consul » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:30 pm

Okay, stupid me, rather than hitting the "quote" button to reply to cuse's reply to me, managed to hit "Edit" instead, and I ended up screwing up his reply to me. Maybe I shouldn't have mod powers after all. I PM'd cuse with an apology, but nevertheless, his post answered my questions, so thank you, cuse. :)

Rather than leaving my edit in place, which looked like what my reply instead should have, I deleted it.
Darren Landrum

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:35 pm

You always have the edit capability on your own posts, no matter if you have moderator permssions or not. So it wouldn't have been a difference.

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:49 pm

cuse wrote:You always have the edit capability on your own posts, no matter if you have moderator permssions or not. So it wouldn't have been a difference.
Yes, but he edited your informative reply (with the power as moderator) instead of his own and is now kicking himself for it. ;)
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

Consul

Post by Consul » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:50 pm

It was a case of my stupidly clicking the wrong button, "Edit" instead of "Quote". I had intended to quote your reply to me, cuse, in a post, and instead ended up editing your post. D'OH! I didn't even notice what I was doing because the text of your post appeared in my browser pretty much as it should have. I'll definitely have to be more careful. Anyway, sorry about that.
Darren Landrum

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:13 pm

Aah, hahaha, I see ... :)