ALSA/Ubuntu rant

Everything and anything, but nothing about the LinuxSampler project.
Alex

Re: ALSA/Ubuntu rant

Post by Alex » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:48 pm

Hehe, that's the way Darren, let it out.

Might be worth giving JAD a run.
Studio Dave can help there, so if you do decide to try this, and have a challenge, i'll ask the JAD fellas, and SDave if they can help.

Alex.

Consul

Post by Consul » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:55 pm

I poked around the JAD website, and the various software versions are also too out-of-date for my liking. I can do the manual Gentoo install, it's just a matter of making the time. My biggest worry is being able to set up the bootloader to also allow booting to my Windows partitions. I know it's possible, but I've never done that before.

On the other hand, if I hose it, fixmbr from the rescue console on my Windows CD works just fine, as I've had to use it once already. ;)
Darren Landrum

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:38 pm

Consul wrote:I poked around the JAD website, and the various software versions are also too out-of-date for my liking. I can do the manual Gentoo install, it's just a matter of making the time. My biggest worry is being able to set up the bootloader to also allow booting to my Windows partitions. I know it's possible, but I've never done that before.

On the other hand, if I hose it, fixmbr from the rescue console on my Windows CD works just fine, as I've had to use it once already. ;)
I had dual boot back in the neolithic times when I just had switched my desktop to GNU/Linux (it got dumped when I later migrated to Gentoo). The trick then was to create a partition and install Windows first then install GNU/Linux. Configuring GRUB to dual-boot is pretty easy, pretty much copy-and-paste from the Gentoo Handbook and it will work (afaict).
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

Consul

Post by Consul » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:43 pm

I've had dual-boot systems running for quite some time now. Really, it's just the fact that I've never manually configured grub for dual-boot before (I have for single-boot) that bothers me, but I've read the handbook entry on that part, and it looks easy, so I'm not too worried about it. Really, it's just a matter of taking the time to actually do the manual Gentoo install. I have a dual-core AMD64 with an Nvidia chipset, so I should be good to go.
Darren Landrum

Consul

Post by Consul » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:30 am

Heh, this should be called my Gentoo Install diary instead.

I tried doing the install tonight, but ran into two issues:

1) None of my kernel modules were able to load.
2) dhcpcd was apparently unable to properly grab an address.

On the other hand, grub works perfectly and has no issues booting to my Windows install. :)

It's been a while since I've done this stuff, so I can't remember how to deal with these issues offhand. I'm not asking the question, I'm just updating the ongoing adventure.

To be continued...
Darren Landrum