Feature Request for pipes that are 'slow to speak'

This forum section was originally created while we were discussing a new, additional engine and sampler format designed from scratch. In the meantime this resulted in our new SFZ2 engine, which is already implemented to a large extent. However this is still the right place for ideas, feature requests, drafts and plans for new engine / format concepts and ideas. We now have 3 sampler engines (Gig, SFZ2, SoundFont 2). Why not having more?
naptastic

Feature Request for pipes that are 'slow to speak'

Post by naptastic » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:46 pm

Sampling pipe organs is a Hard Problem that is not yet solved, and I have a novel approach I want to try, but AFAICT there is not sampler software that supports what I want to do, and I'm probably not a competent enough coder to write my own.

What I want to do is to be able to select which sample gets played based on how long a note is. Now, I realize that this probably seems impossible given the real-time nature of LS. However, given the nature of organ pipes, I think it will be possible to massage the samples into a format where this would work. The sampler would need to start by playing one file (the "longest note" sample) and be prepared to switch to another file (a "bail out" sample) which would be chosen based on how long the note had already been playing. Processing samples so they would actually work with this sampler format would certainly require some special software with lots of math, and I'm confident I can write that software with the math...

What do y'all think? Am I crazy? Have I articulated my idea sufficiently well? Does LS already do this?

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Re: Feature Request for pipes that are 'slow to speak'

Post by ggoodesa » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:43 am

Hi naptastic,
Do you mean having different release portions for whether a note has only been played for 1/4 sec, 1/2 sec, 1 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec, etc. I think that Hauptwerk by Milan Digital has this capability (multiple release samples based on duration of a note). I have not played a Hauptwerk sample set with this capability, but would love LS to have something similar as I am using LS for virtual Theater Organs as well as Classical Organs.
GrahamG

toplayer2

Re: Feature Request for pipes that are 'slow to speak'

Post by toplayer2 » Sun May 10, 2009 6:11 pm

Graham is correct regarding Hauptwerk. It supports both multiple loops and multiple releases. Assuming you are really talking about altering the speech characteristics, you would need to edit the actual samples. Frankly though, there should be no reason to do this if the goal is to replicate the natural speech of pipes.

To create sample sets with multiple loops, there are only two known ways to accomplish this: use the services of www.pipeloops.com or do it yourself with Adobe Audition. Multiple releases are mainly important for wet (reverberant) samples organs. Hauptwerk does have a facility to match the amplitude of the sustain and release, which should suffice for dry sampled organs. GS has a similar capability, but AFAIK LS does not.

Joe Hardy