FX Sends ?

You name it!
davephillips
User

Re: FX Sends ?

Post by davephillips » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:21 pm

cuse wrote:... the MIDI controller is solely for controlling the send level in realtime.
But it doesn't seem to work. Am I missing something or is it currently unimplemented ?

I set up a controller track in my sequencer and sent it to LS on the same MIDI channel as the sequencer's note-on/off events. Is there some other step ?

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:58 pm

It is implemented. I just tested it to be sure and it still works. If it wouldn't, I guess Domenico C. would bother me immediately.

Probably what you haven't realized yet is that you create FX sends not globally, but per sampler channel. That is creating one FX send on one sampler channel won't make the same FX send available on another sampler channel. Beside that fact, there's not much else to know about. E.g. in QSampler just press on the respective sampler channel strip's FX button, create a new FX send, choose a MIDI controller for the send level, press apply, then reselect the FX send and do the audio routing and finish it with apply or ok. That's it.

davephillips
User

Post by davephillips » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:40 pm

cuse wrote:It is implemented. I just tested it to be sure and it still works. If it wouldn't, I guess Domenico C. would bother me immediately.
Perhaps it's a problem with Fantasia ?

Here's what I'm doing for my test:

I create a sequence on MIDI channel 1. I create another track on MIDI channel 1 for controller #0, a swell from 0 to 127 and back to 0.

I create an FX Send on JACK channels 3 & 4. I route those channels (and only those channels) to the alsa_pcm input channels 1 & 2. I assign controller #0 to the Send Level fader.

When the sequence plays, the notes come out fine, but the MIDI controller has no effect. The fader itself works when operated manually, but the assigned controller isn't bound to the fader.

Am I doing this correctly or am I still missing something ?

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:00 pm

I can't tell ATM whether it's a problem with Fantasia, since I currently don't have Java installed on this box. But you can check the setup at any time with a telnet connection and typing the respective LSCP command directly:

Code: Select all

GET FX_SEND INFO <sampler-channel> <fx-send-id>
http://www.linuxsampler.org/api/draft-l ... END%20INFO

I can't really see a mistake from what you described, but that doesn't mean anything. Maybe Grigor can help you on the Fantasia question.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:12 pm

I create a sequence on MIDI channel 1. I create another track on MIDI channel 1 for controller #0, a swell from 0 to 127 and back to 0.
Try with some undefined controller, for example #20 instead of #0 http://www.midi.org/about-midi/table3.shtml.
#0 is Bank Select and I guess it is possible that LS is not processing it for fx sends.

davephillips
User

Post by davephillips » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:51 pm

grishata wrote:Try with some undefined controller, for example #20 instead of #0 http://www.midi.org/about-midi/table3.shtml.
#0 is Bank Select and I guess it is possible that LS is not processing it for fx sends.
That was the problem. Perhaps #0 ought not to be listed in the drop-down menu ? I think it's reserved for the MIDI Instrument function. Anyway, I thought I had tried it with another controller, but I think it was #7, which might also be reserved in Fantasia (instrument volume control). Oh well.

Problem solved, thank you very much. :)

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:51 am

davephillips wrote:That was the problem. Perhaps #0 ought not to be listed in the drop-down menu ? I think it's reserved for the MIDI Instrument function. Anyway, I thought I had tried it with another controller, but I think it was #7, which might also be reserved in Fantasia (instrument volume control). Oh well.
That's the question, whether we should disallow predefined controllers or "fix" the MIDI drivers to allow using predefined controllers as send controller. I'm against taking the user's power, so I'm voting for fixing the driver and allowing weird things like using CC #0 as FX send controller.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:24 pm

That's the question, whether we should disallow predefined controllers or "fix" the MIDI drivers to allow using predefined controllers as send controller. I'm against taking the user's power, so I'm voting for fixing the driver and allowing weird things like using CC #0 as FX send controller.
Maybe predefined controllers should be assigned with warning.

davephillips
User

Post by davephillips » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:55 pm

grishata wrote:Maybe predefined controllers should be assigned with warning.
Better to omit any pre-assigned controllers from the drop-down menu in the FX Send panel. The user can't mistakenly apply a reserved controller if it can't be found in the menu nor is a warning required.

If direct entry is supported, then the warning makes more sense. It should automatically disallow the assignment of a reserved number and advise the user to enter a number not already assigned (hard-wired) within linuxsampler.

I do think it's a good idea to reserve Bank Select and MIDI Volume for their current uses in LinuxSampler.
Last edited by davephillips on Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:57 pm

I'm with Dave on this one.
There's plenty of unassigned cc numbers to take care of extra needs.
I would vote to hide the essentials. Less chance of something going wrong that way.

Alex.

p.s. Just two roubles worth.

:)