GIG incorrect playback behavior

You name it!
Bennett

GIG incorrect playback behavior

Post by Bennett » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:08 am

I recently started playing with Linuxsampler after quite some time away and was very pleased to see its continued development so a BIG THANK YOU to the Linuxsampler team and all contributors!

I have noticed that some certain instrument articulations do not play back correctly. These are on East West Rare Instruments collection, which are GS2 format files. It is difficult to describe the playback, but it sounds like a synth patch rather than the sampled acoustic instrument. It only happens with a few articulations, but across multiple instruments in this library.

I still have a running GS3 system so I have confirmed that the "issue" is with LS. I can provide the GIG file directly to the dev team. I will try to post an audio comparison in the mean time.

Bennett

Re: GIG incorrect playback behavior

Post by Bennett » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:50 am

Here are some short renderings using Linuxsampler and GS3 of the Sarangi instrument from Quantum Leap Rare Instruments.

The sounds were rendered using an identical midi sequence, i.e. same velocity, timing, tempo, etc. The only post processing performed was normalization to -0.5 dB.

Note that both the attack and release are very different. The attack is very obviously different, but the release is also truncated on the LS rendering.

Linuxsampler: https://soundcloud.com/bennett88/sarangi-ls
Gigastudio 3: https://soundcloud.com/bennett88/sarangi-gs3

Any thoughts? I would be happy to provide the GIG file for analysis.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:23 am

Thanks for the report. I found a bug in libgig that could possibly be the cause for this (at least the attack part). I've just committed a fix, please test if it solves the problem.

Bennett

Post by Bennett » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Hello Andreas:

The bug fix corrected both the attack and the release of behavior! Thank you so much for your continued efforts!

Let me know if I can help out with any other testing.