Giga to SFZ

You name it!
typewriter
Advanced User

Giga to SFZ

Post by typewriter » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:42 am

I love the SFZ engine since it offers new possibilties like adding some additional functionalty into an instrument (eg legato etc.).

I am trying to move a VSL GIG-Performance Instrument over to SFZ to have real legato without the performance tool.

I tried to translate the gig with extreme sample converter. While the mapping worked nicely playing the sfz compared to the original gig sounds a little bit different.

To fix things manually it would be very helpfull to have a short list which Gig-Edit parameter translates in which opcode.

While some parameters are pretty obvious, some are not.

My results are so far that playing legato style by sliding with the mouse over fantasias keyboard binds/blends the gig notes together, while the translated sfz creates some small gap when I slide to the next key.

Hitting a note short and release the key cuts the sfz file off immediatly, the gig has some decay after release. Accordingly hitting a key of the sfz file several times leads to cut of machine gun sounds.

I am sure this can be fixed with some tweaking.

The (translated) opcodes of the mV_sus.gig (Violins):

<group>
ampeg_decay=0.005
ampeg_release=0.25
pitcheg_decay=0.005
pitcheg_release=2
fileg_decay=0.005
fileg_release=2
pitchlfo_freq=4.999
fillfo_freq=2.999
amplfo_freq=2.999

Any ideas?

typewriter
Advanced User

Re: Giga to SFZ

Post by typewriter » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:29 pm

I tried the sfz file in Samplelord and it sounds nearly identical to the original giga.

So the cut off sound when playing two keys after oneanother seems to be a playback thing from LS.

Any workaround?