OSX builds

You name it!
typewriter
Advanced User

OSX builds

Post by typewriter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:43 am

Is it possible to have also bulids of the OSX version (at least once in a while?)?

I was able to compile the the Linuxversion but I have no clue how to do it for OSX.

It would be really good t have a more actual version since the 1.0 has a bunch of problems.

Andreas
Developer

Re: OSX builds

Post by Andreas » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:45 pm

Did you try the build I posted here: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... pler-devel ?

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:54 pm

I downloaded and unpacked it. Shouldn't it be an AU?

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:32 pm

OK. Understood: I copied the files over.

However, not working as expeted. I canonly create 1 channel. The second channels "hangs" and does not load any sound.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:37 am

typewriter wrote:I downloaded and unpacked it. Shouldn't it be an AU?
No, in this first experiment I just built the standalone linuxsampler, not the AU.
OK. Understood: I copied the files over.
The linuxsampler standalone application needs to be able to find the dylib files, that's why they have to be copied to for example $HOME/lib
However, not working as expeted. I canonly create 1 channel. The second channels "hangs" and does not load any sound.
Weird. I can't reproduce that. But I forgot to build with --enable-pthread-testcancel, which is needed on Mac. Maybe that's what's causing your problem.

Here's another build, with --enable-pthread-testcancel, and also including an AU: http://download.linuxsampler.org/dev/ma ... nt2.tar.gz

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:00 pm

Thank you for the new build! Now the AU can't be loaded anymore ;-) I am sure this is my fault here.

Could you please tell me your folder structure? I guess I did something wrong with the position of the several files you provided.

What is in your applications/linuxsampler folder?

Do I have to copy files elsewhere?

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:22 am

I have LinuxsamplerAU.component under /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components.

My user is "andreas", so under /Users/andreas/lib I have the dylib-files:

Code: Select all

$ pwd
/Users/andreas
$ ls lib
libgig.6.dylib		liblinuxsampler.3.dylib	libsndfile.1.dylib
$ 
I haven't copied anything to /Applications, the linuxsampler binary just stays where I happened to extract the tar file.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:41 am

It's working now - well, somehow.

I tried Reaper (prerelease 4) 32bit.

When I insert one instance I get:

- 1 stereo channel
- 1 plugin midi port
- 1 audio device

I can't insert a second instance of the AU (may be not intended), if I do so LS (or fantasia) crashes
When I create a new channel in Fantasia - LS hangs sometimes while loading the second sound - sometimes intrument information (instrument index) can't be retrieved. When Fantasia (LS?) hangs, clicking the refresh button does not help. Resetting does nothing.

I have now clue how to create multiouts (audio).

When I add additional midiports I can only create Core midi devices. While that works, I can't switch the midi in of a channel to the second midi device.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:49 pm

typewriter wrote:It's working now - well, somehow.
Good.
I tried Reaper (prerelease 4) 32bit.
OK, and I guess you're using the AU, not the standalone linuxsampler binary, right?
When I insert one instance I get:

- 1 stereo channel
- 1 plugin midi port
- 1 audio device
Yes, that's the intended behavior.
I can't insert a second instance of the AU (may be not intended),
You should only insert a second instance if you need more than 16 different midi channels. Otherwise you should let the other tracks send their midi to the first instance (use "Insert Track" in Reaper instead of "Insert Virtual Instrument on new track", click "io" on the new track and click "Add new send").
if I do so LS (or fantasia) crashes
I can't reproduce that - if I add another instance, Fantasia shows two midi and two audio devices, as it should.
When I create a new channel in Fantasia - LS hangs sometimes while loading the second sound - sometimes intrument information (instrument index) can't be retrieved. When Fantasia (LS?) hangs, clicking the refresh button does not help. Resetting does nothing.
Doesn't happen here either.

When one of your processes (there are only two involved, Reaper and Fantasia) hangs, can you click "Sample Process" in the Activity Manager, save the output and send it to me?
I have now clue how to create multiouts (audio).
Me neither. The VST plugin creates 16 stereo outputs to choose from, but the AU plugin seems to create only one pair. I'm an AU beginner so I don't know if this is intended, configurable or a bug/limitation.
When I add additional midiports I can only create Core midi devices. While that works, I can't switch the midi in of a channel to the second midi device.
You're not supposed to add midi ports (or midi devices) when you're running LS as a plugin.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:29 pm

I am making progress.

The problems depend on the order you start things.

When I insert 2 LS plugin in reaper and start Fantasia afterwards I get 2 midi and audio ports as it should be. And I can load samples without problems (well, it takes sometimes quite long with the second channel)

If I insert one plugin, start Fantasia and insert another plugin afterwards Fantasisia is not working properly. I don't get a second audio port and in the second channel midi ports are missing.

Sometimes a refresh works then.

I any case multiout is really needed. Adding a seperate instance for every instrumentgroup is senseless since every plugin needs 100 MB RAM.

As I recall the 64bit AU needed significamtly less RAM, but had the same multiout problem.