Salamander Grand Piano Relased

You name it!
Ghekorg7

Re: Salamander Grand Piano Relased

Post by Ghekorg7 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:13 pm

Hi again.

I'm just tempted to buy the ESC , do the translation to .gig and upload it here to the forum, after secure permition and licence from the Salamander author and the administrators of course.Just tempted....

I loaded again my demo .gig salamander (1.83GB) into linuxsampler in just seconds and the sound and responce are just superb..... :!:

greetings
Panos 8-)

Ghekorg7

Post by Ghekorg7 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:01 pm

Ok, Hallo again - Latest report on Salamander.

I succesfully managed to get it play with sfz.

I opened rgc audio:sfz player/sampler inside REAPER and then I loaded Salamander.sfz into sfz. I waited for 3 min or so and then I saw Salamander loaded ok (as in my previous post). I touched the keyboard and.... Piano SOUND - GREAT ! :D
I now saved as REAPER project with SIR2 theater and Feric TDC added and enjoy. Thank you all. 8-)

Another thing about Shortcirquit. After 5min and despite the "don't respond" warning I opened Salamander in it (allways inside REAPER) double clicking the Salamander.sfz and not drag all the wav samples. This time the resoult was better but there was the same problem with : B2, C3 and C#3. Only these 3 notes sounding like bells. Something must happening when Shortcirquit loads all the 15 C3 samples. So one can replace them and be ok?

So maybe REAPER is helping with or it was a mistake for me to try to open Salamander with sfz or Shortcirquit as stand-alones (with Savihost) or inside Seib's VSTHost :roll: :?:

For our beloved Linuxsampler for windows, the solution finally is to translate to .gig and works perfect.

Cheers
Panos 8-)

rytmenpinne

Post by rytmenpinne » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:40 pm

Ghekorg7: Feel free to do so! However, I'm not 100% certain that it can be fully functional with the GIGA format since I use multiple release samples. When I first mapped it with gigedit I at least didn't see such a feature.

Ghekorg7

Post by Ghekorg7 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:43 am

rytmenpinne wrote:Ghekorg7: Feel free to do so! However, I'm not 100% certain that it can be fully functional with the GIGA format since I use multiple release samples. When I first mapped it with gigedit I at least didn't see such a feature.
Hi rytmenpinne ! Thank you so much for your wonderfull piano. I'm not tested it yet with my band just to see what's happening in real time play. With Reaper I did something and sounds like a very expencive production ! :D

As I posted before, the giga translation with ESC is high quality. Esc author says in his site that he was especially careful with translation to giga. There is the release samples issue though, you're right.
It was the same with Maestro Concert Grand. It too has release samples that can't be reproduced in linuxsampler. Also the same with the fabulous harpsichords of Sonimusicae.

All these instruments play and sound better with all release samples and dynamics into Kontakt 4.....including Salamander (K4 can translate gig format to itself and play it with better quality - sfz trans to gig to Nki or direct sfz to Nki...)

So I believe our developers here have some work to do and add some other conveniant stuff like real time pan pots on linuxsampler's modules and some quality built in effects or the possibility to insert vst effect modules to it.. :roll: :?:

Best regards
Panos

rytmenpinne

Post by rytmenpinne » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:34 pm

My biggest wish is on_lo/hicc opcodes for pedal action noise. And velocity controlled filters, I liked it much better with a velocity controlled lopass filter which I enabled with a sampler called samplelord hosted with dssi-vst.. unfortunately it was just a demo and it has an LFO on the master volume :)

Ghekorg7

Post by Ghekorg7 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:36 pm

rytmenpinne wrote:My biggest wish is on_lo/hicc opcodes for pedal action noise. And velocity controlled filters, I liked it much better with a velocity controlled lopass filter which I enabled with a sampler called samplelord hosted with dssi-vst.. unfortunately it was just a demo and it has an LFO on the master volume :)
Yes, it would be better if you get to do this.
I like very much listenig to the sound of piano pedal release. Your Salamander does that in sfz, but a bit lower in volume that I would prefered.But no problem at all, as I told you I enjoy myself with it !

I know samplelord , powerfull machine reading many formats, the same guy who develops ESC produces it. He offers them both at a special package.Good work.

But as I believe in a free internet, with people exchanging their goals, trials and works and walkin' together in evolution, I 'm not yet convinced that I have to buy something, even if I have to give a very small amount of money (is the action that stings me), even if they are high quality progs...

rytmenpinne

Post by rytmenpinne » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:47 pm

Ghekorg7 wrote:
rytmenpinne wrote:My biggest wish is on_lo/hicc opcodes for pedal action noise. And velocity controlled filters, I liked it much better with a velocity controlled lopass filter which I enabled with a sampler called samplelord hosted with dssi-vst.. unfortunately it was just a demo and it has an LFO on the master volume :)
Yes, it would be better if you get to do this.
I like very much listenig to the sound of piano pedal release. Your Salamander does that in sfz, but a bit lower in volume that I would prefered.But no problem at all, as I told you I enjoy myself with it !

I know samplelord , powerfull machine reading many formats, the same guy who develops ESC produces it. He offers them both at a special package.Good work.

But as I believe in a free internet, with people exchanging their goals, trials and works and walkin' together in evolution, I 'm not yet convinced that I have to buy something, even if I have to give a very small amount of money (is the action that stings me), even if they are high quality progs...

Yes, I do have pedal noise samples but as linuxsampler can't play them (yet) I had no way of optimizing them so I put them quite low in volume. It's very easy to change tho, Just open then sfz file in a common text editor, scroll to the bottom, there you'll find the last section called "//pedalAction" in the first and second <group> you'll find something called "volume=-30" change it to whatever suits you best :).. Something like -25 for down samples and -28 for up might be advocate.. If you want you can also remove the four last down samples, I'm gonna do this to the next version cause they're just too different from eachother.. at least the first one, but that is the best one again :) There is also another bug that causes problems with garritan aria player, you need to.... heck just cp/paste this:

Code: Select all

<group> group=3 hikey=-1 lokey=-1 on_locc64=64 on_hicc64=127 off_by=2 volume=-25

<region> sample=48khz24bit\pedalD1.wav

<group> hikey=-1 lokey=-1 on_locc64=0 on_hicc64=63 group=2 volume=-28

<region> sample=48khz24bit\pedalU1.wav
note that I removed four of the pedaldown noise samples here..

Ghekorg7

Post by Ghekorg7 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:30 pm

Great info here rytmenpinne, thanks !

Still try to get salamander to play from sfz sampler in standalone version.... I experienced craches allways after Salamander is loaded and hitting the first key on my keyboard....

You may ask why, since I work with it inside reaper...
Because it's a very simple aproach in our very complex world : Open sfz from desk top icon, load Salamander piano, play. Like opening the kbd cap of a real piano and play imediately...

Opening a virtual studio, select project ect ,sometimes it's a mess, depending on the psycological state we're in.
I still do not decided to buy ESC to do the translation to .gig.
A friend electronics/comp professor and known studio owner in Athens, said to me the other day, "why buy a program since you don't get any money from the use of it?"

Does anyone think I'm loosin' it? :lol:

rytmenpinne

Post by rytmenpinne » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Ghekorg7 wrote:Great info here rytmenpinne, thanks !

Still try to get salamander to play from sfz sampler in standalone version.... I experienced craches allways after Salamander is loaded and hitting the first key on my keyboard....

You may ask why, since I work with it inside reaper...
Because it's a very simple aproach in our very complex world : Open sfz from desk top icon, load Salamander piano, play. Like opening the kbd cap of a real piano and play imediately...

Opening a virtual studio, select project ect ,sometimes it's a mess, depending on the psycological state we're in.
I still do not decided to buy ESC to do the translation to .gig.
A friend electronics/comp professor and known studio owner in Athens, said to me the other day, "why buy a program since you don't get any money from the use of it?"

Does anyone think I'm loosin' it? :lol:
Why not just donate the cash to the ls folks and wait for sfz to get out of cvs? :) I find it odd that sfz player crashes since it work for me with dssi-vst (not the whole thing tho) Make a backup of the sfz file and remove all samples except an octave or something and test if it still crashes.. in case it would be some memory bug...

For anyone else interested I've found a funny little workaround to get pedal noise releases. Just load a stripped version with only the pedal release section in the free sfz player that you again load with dssi-vst, if you sit on a linux machine that is ;). And normally load the full library in linuxsampler :) done and done :)

I recorded a sample to be judged by all cruel internetians birds.ogg (1.2 MB) mind that's it's played with an m-audio keyrig 49. I can honestly say that there's nothing more uninspiring to play on than this.. bloody toy...

I've also changed the pedalUp sample to something more discrete too.. The original is quite thumpy and doesn't sound all too good

dronil

Post by dronil » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:47 pm

Thank you rytmenpinne!

Great piano!
Sounds great and works like a charm. Using the 48k version on an old stripped down laptop motherboard. Booting and running a minimal UbuntuStudio 11.04 and LS from an USB stick. My setup is a MIDI M-Audio 88es keyboard and an ADA885 Amplifier/loadspeaker system from Altec Lansing.

BR,
dronil from Sweden