Larger than 2gb, help

You name it!
rytmenpinne

Larger than 2gb, help

Post by rytmenpinne » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:43 pm

Hey, I'm making a rather big instrument. A yamaha C5 sampled in minor thirds and 17 velocity layers, some notes only have 16 cause I had a really nasty headache when I did the recording so I lost track at times. Now, unfortenly I found out the hard way when loading my samples that gigedit cannot make larger than 2gb, all my samples weigh about 2.6gb, what to do? They are recorded at 24bit 48kz I tried to downsample it all to 16bit 44.1kz and replaced all samples but that didn't seem to do anything...

rytmenpinne

Re: Larger than 2gb, help

Post by rytmenpinne » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:48 pm

Today I experimented some more and basically started from scratch and added the 16bit 44.1khz files instead. Now things sort of work, I've got some problems with pops and crackles when playing some samples. I'm gonna have to recheck the starts on some files (yay). I'm also gonna add release samples.

Here's a sample of what it sounds like right now. I got the midi file from a youtube user called "PianistaItaliano", I guess his real name is Alfonso Gugliucci http://www.youtube.com/user/PianistaIta ... ywxBY4GQR8 He is one helluva piano player and has inspired me alot!

And the sample: http://j.imagehost.org/download/0335/Gr ... WithReverb

rytmenpinne

Post by rytmenpinne » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:00 pm

Here's an updated demo, I've fixed all cracks and pops that I've found and tweaked the gain, the lower octaves were a litle lacking first...
(less reverb too, it's the calf stereo reverb if anyone is curious)

http://j.imagehost.org/download/0912/Gr ... pdatedDemo
Enjoy!

Edit: Release samples have been added too, and that brings me to my next question. Is it possible to get the release samples to be played even if the sustain pedal is on?

dakylla
User

Post by dakylla » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:05 pm

hi,

very cool :). i am not a pianist, but this sounds good.

rytmenpinne

Post by rytmenpinne » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:46 am

I'm glad you liked it.

After some digging I found that the manual for gigastudio is quite handy to get some parameters explained, Grab it while it's still there
http://www.tascam.com/products/gigastud ... 49,19.html

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi, very nice sounding piano!

Yes, the 2G limit of the write functions in libgig is a shame. It has been on my todo list forever to fix it. I think it can be a bit tricky, especially if we want GigaStudio compatibility. The write functions need to take care of splitting the samples in multiple files, so no file gets larger than 2G. The files should all start with the same type of structure (I don't remember the details).

The sfz engine could be an alternative for you. It is a bit experimental and there are many unimplemented opcodes, but I think it might be good enough for a piano. Release samples are supported for example.

rytmenpinne

Post by rytmenpinne » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:30 pm

I see.. I have good news tho, it wont be necessary to fix. I've completely recut and remade all samples (not rerecorded tho) :) This time in ardour. So now I got proper fades on everything. I also cut the length on many samples (some were over 30 seconds in the last version) and went from 17 layers to 16 and some 15. exporting to 24bit48khz gave me 1.8gb worth of samples, hooray. While I was at it, I did some fine equalising on all samples separately and managed to filter out quite a fair bit of noise and some midrange on the lower octaves. I also now have an ardour session with all 500 samples with proper names lined up on 30 different tracks. So no I can color them as I'd like with litle effort :)

Here's what it sounds like right know. Crank the volume and you'll definately hear a difference http://j.imagehost.org/download/0191/GrandPianoUpdate3

rytmenpinne

Post by rytmenpinne » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:38 pm

hmm, I can honestly say I'm starting to consider that alternative. Gigedit it seriously pissing me off atm, it has showed of numerous odd behaviours today. The most serious right now is that on some regions, the release triggers has decided to only see the first velocity layer. I've understood there is no editor for sfz yet, and that you edit text files.. I'm gonna look into it.

rytmenpinne

Post by rytmenpinne » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:33 pm

I've looked into it and I've decided to go for sfz. Wich opcodes are supported atm? And how do I load an sfz file?

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:36 pm

rytmenpinne wrote:I've looked into it and I've decided to go for sfz. Wich opcodes are supported atm?
These are the ones that I know of (there are probably a few more that works):

sample lochan hichan lokey hikey key lovel hivel loccN hiccN lobend hibend lochanaft hichanaft lorand hirand seq_length seq_position sw_previous trigger group off_by off_mode volume ampeg_start ampeg_attack ampeg_decay ampeg_sustain ampeg_release amp_veltrack amp_velcurve_N rt_decay octave_offset note_offset

Also the v2 EG opcodes are implemented, but they only work for amplitude.
And how do I load an sfz file?
You first choose the SFZ engine, and then just load the .sfz file just as you do with a gig file. Note that there's a bug that won't let you change to the sfz engine if you previously have connected the channel to devices: http://bb.linuxsampler.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=468.
Gigedit it seriously pissing me off atm, it has showed of numerous odd behaviours today.
It's obviously a bit late now, but I wonder if you could possibly send me some instructions on how to reproduce these bugs?