Qtractor

You name it!
Alex

Re: Qtractor

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:22 pm

Dave,
Now's there's a question i've hammering Google to death with, trying to find an answer to. If Ardour does incorporate multi midi channel per track, then i will give it a serious look. Who knows, i may even get off the reaper journey altogether, with a pure native setup!
It's a reaper strength that the programme supports multi midi channels per track, as well as the superb routing, and a few other things, but were a native linux programme to do the same, then i would give it a serious workout, with an intent of incorporating it into 'Parchment Studios.'
:mrgreen:

If, alongside that, Multi channel midi tracks also supported inline editing, and multichannel visual editing in the piano roll editor, with seamless (via the mighty jackdmp) routing to Mscore, for instance, then i think i'd be close to the perfect setup, with qtractor maintaining it's role in my work, as an easy to use, super fast, quick draft programme. It does this really well, imho, and for someone who uses less tracks for smaller ensembles, is fast becoming a neccessary part of a composing setup. I've been writing like Beethoven on steroids with qtractor wired to a draft orchestra LS template. (The notes, not the quality, lol. Sorry Ludwig.)

As an aside, before i got the chance to send Werner a note, he's already started to implement midi ports out for Mscore. I greeted this news with some considerable enthusiasm, and will test this for him as much as he needs. Lashing Mscore to a midi/audiosequencer, with LS, would remove at least one manual layer of work, and enable me to get on with a lot more writing.
So, a big kudos to Werner as well, and...
Great minds think alike!
8-)

Alex.

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:30 pm

Dave, just been to the ardour site, and irc channel.
Got a bit of sarcasm from some 'experienced' chap (some might say smartass) who didn't seem to understand the basic concept of multimidi per track, or why it's so useful, but it seems that ardour will be 1 channel per track.
I think i'll keep hammering away at QTR, and hope Rui decides to include folders in there somewhere.
Better that than miles of scrolling.
Shame.
Alex.

Rui, help me, my friend. Please.

rncbc
Developer

Post by rncbc » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:49 pm

Alex wrote:Got a bit of sarcasm from some 'experienced' chap (some might say smartass) who didn't seem to understand the basic concept of multimidi per track, but it seems that ardour will be 1 channel per track.
don't know who the smartass is, but here from lac2008@khm-köln, i've asked paul himself about this issue and he's all for ardour do multi-channel tracks. or at least there's no big blocks in not doing so. but actual implementation status may vary atm.

cheers.

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:51 pm

From the horses mouth, Rui?
So all hope is not lost, lol.

I might still keep up the enthusiasm for folders in QTR though, just to keep you on your toes!

Alex

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:05 pm

I've been playing with the Qtractor the last couple of days. Something that is a whole lot more fun now when I've got a proper master keyboard and can send MIDI on the other channels and not just channel one. :D

At first, coming from Ardour, the routing was a little bit confusing, but once I discovered the user manual it got a lot more clearer. Think I've pretty much worked out how to achieve my normal mixing techniques by now. It's feel nice to be able to do complete projects, both sequencing and mixing, in the same application. The only downside is the one MIDI channel per track limitation.

But I have really started to dig Qtractor.

PS. It would be nice to have some LS integration in Qtractor, so that the sampler settings are saved in the Qtractor session instead of a separate LSCP file. Maybe integrate Qsampler somehow into Qtractor.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux