LS french translation

You name it!
pianolivier

LS french translation

Post by pianolivier » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:21 pm

Hi guys

I was thinking about translating the LSCP reference 1.5 into french for you and LinuxMao http://www.linuxmao.org/tikiwiki/tiki-i ... ge=accueil

Has anyone already started anything like this ?
(or done any kind of french translation about LS)

Would you find it useful ?

oliver
Last edited by pianolivier on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

cuse
Developer

Re: LSCP reference translation (FR)

Post by cuse » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:27 pm

Wooooohooo .... that's a loooot of work. The current specification already counts 150 pages. And I'm not sure if it would be very useful, because the LSCP specification is mainly intended to be read by developers, which usually are capable to read in English language.

Maybe more useful would be a generalized manual of LinuxSampler and all apps. We already have a bit documentation, but it's quite splitted into the various applications etc., which probably makes it unhandy for end users, because the big picture is missing. To glue everything together to one big and nice end-user manual would be a big step forward IMO. This manual could cover all aspects of LinuxSampler, from installation on the various OSes and distributions, setup of related stuff like JACK, ASIO etc, usage of the various apps, pros and contras, and and and ....

pianolivier

Re: LSCP reference translation (FR)

Post by pianolivier » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:00 am

yeah, it's actually a bad idee to translate the whole thing, but i explained myself badly.
What I want to do is more like a general documentation covering :
-presentation
-explanations on what LS actually is (translation of a part of LS "about")
-how it works (clients-server aspect)
-linux (at first) installation, and then on other systems if I get the time to investigate on them
-basic setup with GUIs
-more advanced setup on command line with examples
sort of what is already here : http://www.linuxmao.org/tikiwiki/tiki-i ... nuxSampler
but in a better and more functional way
the scope includes :
-translation of LS features (already done here) http://www.linuxmao.org/tikiwiki/tiki-i ... _fonctions
-translation of important parts of the LSCP reference (a bit of all, but only the more used commands)
-and maybe a full translation of Jsampler with it's documentation
all of this of course is aimed to end-users

So i would be grateful to be fed with any of theses bits of documentations you are talking about, and I would be happy to discuss about how to proceed and integrate the result to your project !!

oliver

pianolivier

Re: LS french translation

Post by pianolivier » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:32 pm

nobody ??

i get it, you hate french (can't blame you) :mrgreen:
(or maybe you thought i was the other "olivier" and you don't what to hear about him again ? - can't blame you neither ) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

more seriously, what documentation ?

oliver

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:32 am

Hi Oliver,
I'm hoping that you get the various docs from whoever has them as it would be great to have a manual in English as well as French! I only know of the information available on the forum and the from the linuxsampler homepage, so can't really help.
GrahamG
Johannesburg, South Africa

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:36 pm

Sorry, I check the forum often just all couple days...

Well yeah, that sounds good. That's pretty much what I had in mind, JSampler manual, gigedit manual, a small howto about fiddling with own LSCP scripts, ... and trying to make a glue for everything. All the docs we have are on our documentation page:
http://www.linuxsampler.org/documentation.html
Nothing hidden.

pianolivier

Post by pianolivier » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:47 pm

Sorry, I check the forum often just all couple days...
hi cuse
thanks for your answer
i may appear rushing you but it's actually the LinuxMao community that is rushing me since i started to talk about making a documentation :twisted:
(that was problably a very bad idee) :D
We already have a bit documentation, but it's quite splitted into the various applications
alright, i though you were talking about bits of doc already available in french, which i could not find anywhere, or other hidden documentation that i could have missed
that is clearer now ;)
I started the doc which should be available in a couple of weeks on LinuxMao, but I am already struggling about one particular point : The GigaFont Format specifications
It is quite hard to find anything about this subject on the net, and i am now browsing this entire forum to put stuff together, thus I would be grateful if you have (you or any other dev) documentation about it and can send it here
Once all of the doc written, i will start translating the full JSampler manual
then i guess you may want to include it on your site, how would you make that append ?
the next step could be to translate JSampler itself.
I have never translated an app before, so i really don't know where to start and what could be the process
could you give me informations about it ?

oliv'

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:26 pm

There is not much documentation about the gig format I fear. You can find a bit on the libgig site:
http://www.linuxsampler.org/libgig/
But to get details about the format, you would have to gather informations from the libgig API documentation. Otherwise you have to find docs covering probably Tascams GSt instrument editor on the net.

Well, if we include the translation on our website, we have to ask who will maintain it? We are already struggling with keeping the existing English docs quite up to date. Not even thinking about maintaining docs in other languages.

AFAIK there is no support for translations in JSampler yet. I have to talk about that with Grigor. We already have a translation file system however for gigedit and qsampler.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:42 pm

cuse wrote:AFAIK there is no support for translations in JSampler yet.
Actually, there is.

In the src/org/jsample/langprops directory of the jsampler source there are five .properties files. These are in english. To make a translation you just have to make copies of the files, with a locale string appended. For example, copy ButtonLabelsBundle.properties to ButtonLabelsBundle_fr_FR.properties. And then translate the strings in the files. Do the same for all the other langprops directories.

pianolivier

Post by pianolivier » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:03 am

that's brilliant, thanks !
it should not take me much time to go through all of them
just say it if you want me to post it somewhere, or maybe you don't want it for the reasons of maintainability ?
in any case it will be available on LinuxMAO as soon as it's done

oliver