[SOLVED]Tweaking ADSR and sustain parameters in Gigedit

You name it!
prasadbrg

[SOLVED]Tweaking ADSR and sustain parameters in Gigedit

Post by prasadbrg » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:06 am

Season's greetings to everyone!
I'm relatively new to sample editing, so please excuse me if I get my terms mixed up...! I'm working with a string ensemble .gig file. For the most part, I found things fairly intuitive: I've been able to change the attack time, and introduce some release, which suits my needs. I'm using a keyboard and a sustain pedal in a live context.

However, I need my sample to do the following:
  • Have a nonzero release (i.e. sound decays off *after* key release). Let's say this time is 3 seconds
  • when I hit the sustain pedal before the sound has completely decayed (i.e. during the 'release' cycle) , i.e. within 3 seconds, the note which is still sounding must not be sustained
  • only new notes must be sustained when the sustain pedal is hit, and not the previous note which is still in the 'release' phase
I believe I've just described the effect of a sustenoto pedal; however, coming from a non-western musical background, I'm not quite sure. :?

Here's where I'm stuck: If I uncheck the "Infinite Sustain" box in the "Amplitude(1)" section of Gigedit, then the previous note is not sustained (while sitll decaying), but this 'release' is cut off as soon as I hit the sustain pedal. OTOH, if I check this box, then the previous note is sustained...!

To sum up: When the sustain pedal is hit while the previous note is still decaying after key release (i.e. in the "release" phase), I want neither the previous note to be sustained nor the "release" sound to be cut off.

I hope this is less confusing than it sounds!

I have other applications by which I can make the sustain pedal send sustenoto midi cc messages in place of sustain, if that is required.

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.
Cheers,

Guru
Last edited by prasadbrg on Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

prasadbrg

Re: Tweaking ADSR and sustain response parameters in Gigedit

Post by prasadbrg » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:49 am

A quick update. I actually tried changing the midi CC of the pedal from 64 (sustain/damper) to 66 (sustenoto).
The result: the exact inverse of what I wanted. Sustenoto seems to make the future notes unaffected by the sustain; I need the previous notes to be unaffected by the sustain.

Hope this helps clarify the situation. Any help would be apprectiated!
Cheers,
Guru

prasadbrg

Re: Tweaking ADSR and sustain response parameters in Gigedit

Post by prasadbrg » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:55 am

Solved! :D

By trial and error, I figured out what needed to be done:
What I wanted was the "Decay 2" parameter to be *slightly* above the "Release" value.
Works rather nicely now!

Thanks to the developers!
Cheers,

Guru