Adding Jack Rack FXs to gigsampler sounds

You name it!
pixelblip

Adding Jack Rack FXs to gigsampler sounds

Post by pixelblip » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:02 pm

Hi there

Do you think it might be possible in the future to add some feature that loads FX with your sounds?

At the moment in Linux I open e.g an electric piano.gig sample and then I need to manually open the effect in Jack Rack to go with the electric piano (which happens to be a phaser with distortion)

It would be nice if this could be done without having to constantly go back to the mouse in Jack Rack....

As an example it would be great if you could execute a script on loading a sound in Linux Sampler.......so when I open ( for example) my organ.gig Linux Sampler then opens the Jack rack effect 'lesley.rack' or whatever it may be. That way you could sort of automate saving FX with the sound.

It's not so bad in windows as you have vst hosts programs.....like Forte or Chainer....they make this possible.

What I want is to be able to send a program change to Linuxsampler that says 'load this sound and load these fx all in one go' . Is this possible please?
I've used Lash but it doesn't let you do this really.............any advice please?
Thanks.

dahnielson

Re: Adding Jack Rack FXs to gigsampler sounds

Post by dahnielson » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:25 am

Go and vote for LADSPA effect support in the (almost) monthly "Features you want to see implemented next?".

I'm using LinuxSampler and Ardour. All I have to do is open my saved LSCP template in LinuxSampler and my mixdown template with all effects and routings in Ardour.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:36 am

Thanks Anders for getting back to me. I have just cast my vote. Fingers crossed eh!

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:52 pm

I've just had a thought. To make life easy (not to have to recode everything for fx) couldn't you just say 'when Linux sampler issues a program change 'run this script'. That way you could e.g get Linux sampler to open a jack rack effect you've saved after it's opened the main instrument. It's a bit like when jack starts (qjackctl) and you can get it to run a script on startup.........am I making sense? It would be an easy thing to implement....(I assume!)

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:46 pm

Of course this might be useful for some. And it would be pretty easy to implement as well. We could introduce a new LSCP command which registers executable files as hooks for arbitrary sampler events. E.g.:

Code: Select all

SUBSCRIBE EXECUTABLE '/home/me/myscript.sh' <event-type>
and respectively:

Code: Select all

UNSUBSCRIBE EXECUTABLE '/home/me/myscript.sh' <event-type>
The event details could be passed as command line parameters or probably better via std input.

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:20 pm

That would be great if you could do that.........I like to use Linux sampler without the mouse and keyboard (Just to play keyboards) and being able to tag on an effect would make all the difference. And the nice thing about Jack Rack is the fact you can midi control all the effects.Adding this would make Linux sampler more like a multitimbral workstation with fx.......so much of a pleasure not to have to use windows as well.
Thanks for listening!

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:42 pm

Maybe file it as enhancement wish in our bug tracking system (bugs.linuxsampler.org). Otherwise it might get forgotten.