MIDI rules

You name it!
dahnielson

MIDI rules

Post by dahnielson » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:37 am

Looking at the feature list I see that MIDI rules are partly implemented. I assume that MIDI rules refers to what GS3 calls iMIDI (Intelligent MIDI). How much of it is implemented? How can I use them in my own library or apply them to an existing library?
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

cuse
Developer

Re: MIDI rules

Post by cuse » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:17 pm

Yeah, Andreas started to implement it. So far its just supported on libgig side yet, not on LS side. However Andreas already sent me a patch a while ago for adding it to the gig engine. It's not yet commited though.

You have to know ... Andreas is usualy collecting a lot of slick new things on his box, working on all kind of things in parallel, makes us hot with his patches and waits a while until he actually shows some mercy with us and finally commits it. ;-)

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:11 pm

cuse wrote:You have to know ... Andreas is usualy collecting a lot of slick new things on his box, working on all kind of things in parallel, makes us hot with his patches and waits a while until he actually shows some mercy with us and finally commits it. ;-)
Make me wonder if I should pay him a visit... I guess I just live one stop on the commuter train from him. :twisted:
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:14 pm

I just noticed that there is a dimension called "Smart MIDI" with the description "For MIDI tools like legato and repetition mode" that sounds awful lot like GS3's "Intelligent MIDI". :) But I have no idea how to use it...
Anders Dahnielson

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:26 pm

cuse wrote:Yeah, Andreas started to implement it. So far its just supported on libgig side yet, not on LS side. However Andreas already sent me a patch a while ago for adding it to the gig engine. It's not yet commited though.
I've finally committed this now!

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:33 pm

dahnielson wrote:I just noticed that there is a dimension called "Smart MIDI" with the description "For MIDI tools like legato and repetition mode" that sounds awful lot like GS3's "Intelligent MIDI". :) But I have no idea how to use it...
The Smart MIDI dimension is used by some of the MIDI rules, but not by the Controlled Triggered one, which is the only one that is currently supported in LS. This means that the Smart MIDI dimension isn't used by LS at all at the moment.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:38 pm

dahnielson wrote:Looking at the feature list I see that MIDI rules are partly implemented. I assume that MIDI rules refers to what GS3 calls iMIDI (Intelligent MIDI). How much of it is implemented? How can I use them in my own library or apply them to an existing library?
I chose to implement just the Controller Triggered rule, because that was the only one that was used by the gig files I use. Some piano gigs use it to play pedal noises. When the sustain pedal is pressed a (very quiet) noise is heard which lasts until the pedal is released, when another noise sample is played.

Sorry, there's currently no support in libgig or gigedit for adding MIDI rules to gigs.

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:48 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I will then get on doing my own MIDI scripting tool. Was a bit worried I would duplicate some facility already existing in LS.
Anders Dahnielson