Before I download - will this work with VSL Pro Edition?

You name it!
Hamish

Before I download - will this work with VSL Pro Edition?

Post by Hamish » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:31 pm

Hey guys,

Gigastudio 3 ain't cutting it for me, as I'm running it on an old XP machine (my new Vista machine won't run it at all) and I've got a whole load of stability problems. I'm considering using this thing, LinuxSampler, to run my VSL libraries as I heard it runs on Windows Vista. I am, however, sceptical about how well it'll work and whether it'll function properly. I basically need LinuxSampler to function exactly as GigaStudio does and preserve all the keyswitching, modwheel and other stuff from the Gig files. I tried converting Giga to Kontakt, but it failed horribly, and since Kontakt is a proper commercial program, I'm really doubtful as to whether an "open-source" program will be any better...

dahnielson

Re: Before I download - will this work with VSL Pro Edition?

Post by dahnielson » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:11 pm

Yes, it will work. It will do so a lot better than Kontakt. LinuxSampler actually play back GIG as a native format instead of trying to convert them into some other format like Kontakt.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

Hamish

Post by Hamish » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:56 pm

Ok, but when you say "work", do you mean it'll work "decently ok" or will it be flawless or close to flawless? Because I can keep using GigaStudio if LinuxSampler isn't exact enough.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:20 pm

Hamish wrote:Ok, but when you say "work", do you mean it'll work "decently ok" or will it be flawless or close to flawless? Because I can keep using GigaStudio if LinuxSampler isn't exact enough.
It works flawless. With the VST Version you will get 64bit support for gig files what is not available anywhere else in VST format.

Actually I am not aware of any 64 bit VST/AU/RTAS sampler or sampleplayer. There is 64bit version of kontact on its way but the postings in forum are mixed.

For conversion I would recommend "extreme sample converter" to you. It's not known to much, but it beats all the well known conversion programs like chicken translator. The developer of esc has also a sample player (samplelord) to sell which is a bargain and does also play back all indes of sample formats including gig, kontakt and a bunch of others.

Hamish

Post by Hamish » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:30 pm

Ok you seem very confident about LinuxSampler's functionality, so I'll download it and give it a try.
Thanks.

edit: Got a little problem: can't get the VST plugin to work as I don't know which DLLs to move to my vstplugins directory. Standalone works well though, seems to sound the same as GigaStudio so far..

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:49 pm

Hamish wrote:edit: Got a little problem: can't get the VST plugin to work as I don't know which DLLs to move to my vstplugins directory. Standalone works well though, seems to sound the same as GigaStudio so far..
Did you use the installer?

Hamish

Post by Hamish » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:40 pm

Yes I used the installer on the front page of the site: http://download.linuxsampler.org/dev/wi ... _setup.exe

sbenno
Developer

Post by sbenno » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:00 pm

Hamish,
please uninstall the beta1 and install this beta2:

http://download.linuxsampler.org/dev/wi ... _setup.exe

it's the latest with several fixes and improvements (instrument database support on Windows, VST with 16 stereo out) and it's our release canditate for the next official version.

By default the LS installer puts the VST in
C:\Program Filesi\Steinberg\VstPlugins
you can add this dir to the VST paths of your sequencer or just copy the Linuxsampler.dll to your favorite location , should work too (but then don't forget to remove it in case you install
a newer version of LinuxSampler, otherwise you risk to load an older version and incur into several problems, so better don't use the copy method if possibile)

please let us know how it works for you,
thanks,
Benno

Hamish

Post by Hamish » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:10 pm

Ok I'm a little busy with something else at the mo, but I'll try it out and get back to you within the next week.

Btw, you shouldn't install to a hardcoded path C:\Program Files - because this causes problems for people like me with 64 bit systems where the VstPlugins folder is under C:\Program Files (x86)
Try using the environment variable %PROGRAMFILES(X86)% in your installer code.

edit: Ok I tried the new installer - still no VST plugin showing up in Sonar - I checked the paths you said it installed to but the dll is not there.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:58 am

I had a similar problem. The problem ist old stuff from your prior install. Uninstall the official installer and look afterwards where there is something left on your harddrive from a prior install. Delete the steinberg folder with the LS folder if it is still there.

I don't know sonar but I can confirmt tha 64bit works with Reaper X64.

In Reaper there is a function to rescan your VST folder. There must be something similar in Sonar.