Windows beta pre-release (incl. VST and 64 bit binaries)

You name it!
cuse
Developer

Re: Windows beta pre-release (incl. VST and 64 bit binaries)

Post by cuse » Sun May 24, 2009 10:58 am

yogi_loeschner wrote:Another problem is, that I cannot use LS for staccato sequences...it always takes a while until the same key can be played again. I didn't dig too far into it, but I guess it's a voice count problem. Any thoughts on that?
Can you create a .gig file which reproduces the problem? So far I haven't seen such a report before.

yogi_loeschner

Post by yogi_loeschner » Sun May 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi,
I've evaluated the problem a bit more. So far it does not occur with all patches...but it often comes up with shorter notes of the Project SAM libraries. It appeared with these patches (not that I have tried all of them out):

SAM Horns:
* SAM H. staccato C (c)

SAM Trombones:
* Amb. Bass Piano + Tbn. (-8)
* SAM Tbn. VEL Stacc. 1 + 2 dual (c)

Interestingly there seems to be an issue with longer patches (e.g. SAM Tbn. - sustain (c))...if I hit a key for the second time (as staccato play) the patch plays, but at a very low volume. None of these problems appear with the SAM Trumpets though...
Last edited by yogi_loeschner on Thu May 28, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chen_tso

Post by chen_tso » Mon May 25, 2009 5:45 pm

yogi_loeschner wrote:Hi,
I tried out the VST-Plugin with Sonar 6.2. My soundcard is an Audiophile 2496 and old Audigy (to get the audiophile audio to my speakers). Whenever I reload a project in Sonar that used Fantasia, it shows me the "Applying global stream/voice limits"-window with loading bar forever. However the samples are already playable then.

Another problem is, that I cannot use LS for staccato sequences...it always takes a while until the same key can be played again. I didn't dig too far into it, but I guess it's a voice count problem. Any thoughts on that?

The first one is a problem for me, too, in Sonar 8. It seems that the message "Applying global stream/voice limits" will not go away and the cancel button is about 90% hidden by an undersized window of that dialog box. When you do manage to press cancel it'll say number of task pending do you want to cancel or something and then your Fantasia is loaded with what seems to be empty unloaded instruments. (But if you play your track, it plays just fine)

Bennett

Post by Bennett » Mon May 25, 2009 8:35 pm

Andreas wrote:
- There appears to be a bug in the Instrument Index (patch) selector. I was browsing through a violin patch from Kirk Hunters Emerald Orchestra and when I select a particular patch, sometimes an incorrect patch would be loaded.
This is nothing I have seen, and unfortunately I don't have that gig either. Please tell us if you see some pattern in the error behaviour.
- Strange behavior to FL Studio only - multiple instances of the Fantasia frontend open upon loading the VSTi into a generator slot. I believe that this has to do with the FL Studio VSTi wrapper. Every time I select the VSTi wrapper to adjust a parameter (such as midi port mapping), another instance of Fantasia loads.
Maybe FL actually opens several instances of the LinuxSampler VST. You can tell by looking in the device panel in fantasia - if there are multiple instances of the "plugin" audio device, then there are multiple LS engines running, something you normally don't want (it uses much more memory than having several channels in one LS engine).
Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I can't reproduce the errant patch problem so I'll attribute it to "user error" at this time. It might have been that I issued a midi patch change command accidentally.

I can confirm that FL Studio opens 4 instances of Linuxsampler when it is initially loaded into FL Studio. Thereafter every time I access the plugin wrapper, another instance of Linuxsampler loads.

Thank you for all your good works!

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat May 30, 2009 8:04 am

ggoodesa's friend Lynn wrote:I figure that MOST people who run the VST version will have only one standard stereo sound card. However, there will be a good number of us "experimenter" types who will have 2 or 3 SB cards or the Delta 1010LT with 10 output channels. People with MORE than 16 channels (6 stereo pairs) will be few, if any.
As I said above, the number of output channels of the sound cards doesn't really have anything to do with the number of ouputs of a VSTi. Having many output channels from an VSTi can be useful for having different effects applied to the different channels.
Also, is it possible to have the Fantasia GUI window function as a VST host managed window, rather than be created outside the VST host?
I think it would be possible, as the jVSTwRapper project can do it, but it is not trivial.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat May 30, 2009 8:08 am

sbenno wrote:The question is why Kontakt is using this approach (one DLL with 2 output channels, one with 16 outs). Was NI just lazy or are there cases where the user purposely wants to use the two DLLs at the same time ?
I'm not sure, but I think there could be problems if you first create a song when the plugin is configured to use X output channels, and then later change it to Y channels and load that song. I guess the host could be confused by that. The mixer configuration saved in the song possibly expects the plugin to have X channels.

I found this thread http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... 533&page=3, which I think is about this problem in Battery. NI seem to have had the output channels configurable, but then removed this option in a patch.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat May 30, 2009 8:12 am

cuse wrote:The drawbacks of having more (unused) output channels:
  • Slightly more CPU usage, as the audio buffer of each audio channel has to be reset to zero (memset(pChanBuf, 0, bufsize)) once each audio cycle, but that's a very fast operation.
  • Slightly more memory consumption (RAM): no_channels * period_bufsize (in practice 16ch vs 2ch: +6 kB ... +500 kB).
Another drawback I see is that the GUI in the host often gets harder to work with if a plugin is having too many output channels. The mixer gets very wide for example.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat May 30, 2009 8:14 am

typewriter wrote:One last question: What happens when a second 16 channel plug is inserted? Another fantasia instance or fantasia with 32 channels?
Actually, it starts another Fantasia instance, but both instances will show the same thing. The sampler channels in the different VSTi instances will use different audio devices, but they will all show up in both Fantasia windows.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat May 30, 2009 8:15 am

grishata wrote:If I'm not mistaken, trying to load another LS dll will fail, because it will try to bind to port 8888, which will be taken by the first one.
No, this is incorrect. The different LS VSTi instances (loaded from the same host) are sharing the same LSCPServer and port.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat May 30, 2009 8:17 am

ggoodesa wrote:And what were the compile time options of this windows beta build? --enable-refill-streams=2 --enable-stream-size=320000 --enable-preload-samples=65536?
Yes. Same as the previous Windows release. The values come from Benno's experiments.