Windows beta pre-release (incl. VST and 64 bit binaries)

You name it!
Erikds

Re: Windows beta pre-release (incl. VST and 64 bit binaries)

Post by Erikds » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:26 pm

Andreas wrote: But I still can't understand what's wrong with the one included in 0714. What is the size of the DLL you got from the 0714 installer? 2679108 or 2733380 bytes?
Very sorry to have given partly wrong info.
None of the test build 1 to 4 work with 20090714. Error given after startup of Fantasia is "cannot connect to backend".
I must have made a mistake thinking that 20090714 was installed, but in fact running 20090623.
Strangely enough in the Windows Program Add/Remove window 20090714 was shown as loaded, but i realise now with the wrong size (43K instead of 39K).
The size of its liblinuxsampler-1.dll is 2.679.108 bytes.
Fantasia can be started and instruments can be loaded with 20090714 but the sound remains very distorted.
This also happens with test5 file, apparently the same as what is in the linuxsampler_20090714_setup.exe installer.

All of the test builds, including test5 work correctly with 20090623.
So the mystery remains.

Sorry again for the confusion i caused.

All the best.

Erik.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:25 am

antiesen wrote:Execept the gigedit can't be started from the vsti.
When pushed -edit- on fantasia a OS window appears:
"g_win32_get_package_installation_directory_of_module" wurde in der
DLL "libglib-2.0-0.dll" nicht gefunden.
I guess you have an older version of GTK installed on your system, and this version is placed before the LS directory in the PATH environment variable. We are including the GTK DLL files in the installer just to prevent this kind of problem, and as you noticed, it works when you run gigedit standalone and gigedit plugin from LS standalone. But not when gigedit plugin is started from the VST.

I made a fix for this, which seems to work, but only if the Windows version is XP SP1 or later.

Thanks for the report!

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:21 am

Erikds wrote:None of the test build 1 to 4 work with 20090714.
You're right. I thought it was enough with just the DLL, but it seems as linuxsampler.exe also has to be replaced.

I've uploaded linuxsampler.exe from build 1 to 4 to http://download.linuxsampler.org/~perss ... xetest.zip.

Erikds

Post by Erikds » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:24 pm

Andreas wrote: I've uploaded linuxsampler.exe from build 1 to 4 to http://download.linuxsampler.org/~perss ... xetest.zip.
I tested each linuxsampler.exe/liblinuxsampler-1.dll set (test1 till test4) by replacing these file combo's in turn in the original 20090714.
They all give the same result which is not different from those of the original 20090714.
This means:
- Fantasia loads, starts linuxsampler and connects to the backend.
- Able to create Audio Device and MIDI Device and to load instrument
- Sound is very distorted.
In short: no change from original 20090714

I noticed that even in Task Manager i could not kill linuxsampler process, after having closed Fantasia, when doing test1 till test4.
This also made PC restart or shutdown very very slow, if not disabled.
To avoid that i manually start linuxsampler first, and thereafter launch Fantasia.
After test i close Fantasia and then linuxsampler manually with Ctrl-X.

From tomorrow till aug. 10 i am not available to continue testing.
Today i can continue testing as long as necessary.
As from aug. 11 i shall be happy to continue if you need me.

Thanks for your dedication to get it right.

All the best.

Erik.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:49 pm

Erikds wrote:I tested each linuxsampler.exe/liblinuxsampler-1.dll set (test1 till test4) by replacing these file combo's in turn in the original 20090714.
They all give the same result which is not different from those of the original 20090714.
This is so very weird. Do you know about "Process Explorer"? A more powerful "task manager" that can be downloaded from Microsoft. If you start linuxsampler.exe, mark it in Process Explorer, choose "View/Show Lower Pane" and "Show/Lower Pane View/DLLs", and look at the Path column, do you see anything suspicious? There should be a lot of DLLs from "Program Files\LinuxSampler\32", among them liblinuxsampler-1.dll, and the rest should be Windows system files under WINDOWS\System32.

Another combination for you to test is the 0623 installer with both linuxsampler.exe and liblinuxsampler-1.dll from test1.

Erikds

Post by Erikds » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:21 am

Andreas wrote: This is so very weird. Do you know about "Process Explorer"? A more powerful "task manager" that can be downloaded from Microsoft. If you start linuxsampler.exe, mark it in Process Explorer, choose "View/Show Lower Pane" and "Show/Lower Pane View/DLLs", and look at the Path column, do you see anything suspicious? There should be a lot of DLLs from "Program Files\LinuxSampler\32", among them liblinuxsampler-1.dll, and the rest should be Windows system files under WINDOWS\System32.

Another combination for you to test is the 0623 installer with both linuxsampler.exe and liblinuxsampler-1.dll from test1.
I have Process Explorer running and the views open as you asked.
Linuxsampler 0714 is running and marked. liblinuxsampler-1.dll is shown together with a lot of libxxx dll's from /32 subdir.
Nothing suspicious shown as far as i can see.
Distortion of sound remains, of course.

Uninstalled Linuxsampler 0714 and installed Linuxsampler 0623.
Sound not distorted.
Replaced linuxsampler.exe/liblinuxsampler-1.dll in it by test1 combo.
Result: Sound remains ok, not distorted.
Same result with test2 till test4 combo's: sound is ok.
Perhaps not so surprising since 0623 worked with all liblinuxsampler-1.dll's from test1 till test4 (not replacing linuxsampler.exe).
In Process Explorer i did not detect any obvious difference with when 0714 was running.

That's it for now.
Next experiment can be done here as from aug. 11

Please not too much head scratching on this topic in the mean time.
Without feedback from tests there is probably not much fun to have, if any. :-)

All the best.

Erik.

antiesen

Post by antiesen » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:23 pm

Andreas wrote: I guess you have an older version of GTK installed on your system, and this version is placed before the LS directory in the PATH environment variable. We are including the GTK DLL files in the installer just to prevent this kind of problem, and as you noticed, it works when you run gigedit standalone and gigedit plugin from LS standalone. But not when gigedit plugin is started from the VST.

I made a fix for this, which seems to work, but only if the Windows version is XP SP1 or later.

Thanks for the report!
Great, thanks for the quick help !

I've installed gtk-2.12.9-win32-2.exe and gtkmm-win32-runtime-2.12.7-3.exe
gigedit works now together with the vsti.
The only thing know - when gigedit was used at anytime - even it was closed again - and in the hosting sequencer is load a another or a new song
or even on quitting the sequencer - it crashes the sequencer.

Bennett

Post by Bennett » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:20 pm

The last linuxsampler_20090714_setup.exe has been working great but I encountered strange behavior with one of my libraries.

It is a Sarangi patch from the Quantum Leap Rare Instruments Giga. The GIG is a version 2.x format and heavily keyswitched. Some of the keyswitch sounds are corrupted. I checked using my Giga3 and it plays fine there.

I can upload the GIG for your testing, just let me know who to email the link to.

Also, is there any way to disable the automatic database update function, I tire of waiting every time I boot LS up.

Thanks for your continued great work!

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:49 am

It seems that the latest installer package installs not Fantasia 09 but 08. Is that intended? I installed the latest release over an older one.

Another small bug: On WIn 7 64bit with Reaper 32 bit LS does not open Fantasia automatically - it does work though with Reaper X64.

shuptuu

Post by shuptuu » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi,

I'd just install linuxsampler on windows to test the VSTi implementation with Cubase. It almost works but I have a question and a bug to submit...:
-The question: when loading the VSTi in cubase, 31 audio tracks are created even there's no channel created in Fantasia. This is not critical but could we have in cubase only the number of channels as tracks? Or is there a way to modify this default number of tracks? (having 31 tracks when you only need 1 is quite boring...)
-The bug: when playing on my midi keyboard or when cubase is playing a midi sequence affected to a channel of linuxsampler, after a while (1min or more, never the same), the sound disappears, reappears a few second after like there was an overflow in linuxsampler. It affects also the general synchronisation. But when it happens, the cpu/mem/disk on my computer are not overloaded, and it happens also with very simple arrangements (1 midi track in cubase, with a simple midi sequence, only linuxsampler as vsti loaded, no effects on tracks)... Any idea? cause it makes LinuxSampler unusable on my system...
Regards