Fantasia and my Creamware card, Windows

You name it!
Pete

Fantasia and my Creamware card, Windows

Post by Pete » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:52 pm

Hi,
This is my first post. LinuxSampler: Great thing!

I downloaded the windows binary; the backend acknowledges my card's drivers right away. It's a Creamware Scope Power- Pulsar.

Fantasia's driver-handshake wants to time-out before it acknowledges the midi and audio drivers, and I need to restart Scope ( the sound card software ) each time it does that. But after several/many tries, it starts to work. Then it sounds good until I crash it.

Scope lets you put in choices of I/O modules, like ADAT, SPDIF, and varieties of ASIO, etc. so I tried eliminating un-needed ones sometimes, or changing from 32 bit to 16 bit ASIO. But I get the impression it's not necessary to do that.

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Re: Fantasia and my Creamware card, Windows

Post by ggoodesa » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:13 pm

Hi Pete,
I don't know the Creamware Scope Power- Pulsar at all, but know a bit about troubleshooting with ASIO. Make sure that your soundcard's ASIO buffer setting is the same as the fragment size you are using in Fantasia, and - if possible - make sure that the samplerate of the GIG samples that you're using (i.e. 44100hz or 48000hz) matches the ASIO driver and Fantasia settings.
If you are still getting timeout and crash issues then give us a little more detail on the capabilites of the Card.
Hope this helps,
GrahamG
Johannesburg, South Africa

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:48 am

Thanks,
Creamware is now Sonic Core. The cards and their platform are called "Scope". They're very interesting, you should check them out. They come with a sampler that runs on the card's DSP chips, but uses the computer's RAM.

I increased the ASIO buffers, and now it works better, thanks. It's in terms of latency milliseconds on the card, so I don't know if it matches Fantasia.

Fantasia crashed my computer twice with a message about LSass.exe; it said something about shutting down the system in 30 seconds when it did it. It also crashed it a couple of other times. When I used the editor, it hung during a "save-as" operation.

But my controller is spitting out some midi all the time; something is wrong with it.

I recorded a little on Audacity with my converted Emu and Roland samples. Sounded good.

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:14 pm

"lsass.exe" is the Local Security Authentication Server. It verifies the validity of user logons to your PC/Server. It generates the process responsible for authenticating users for the Winlogon service. Please do an updated virus scan on your system just to ensure that you are running a clean version of it.

You might find that the latest CVS version of LinuxSampler solves your problems. If you're unable to build/compile your own, you can use my most recent build (I'm running WinXP Prof on AMD DualCore) -> download from:
http://cid-c6dd879f60fadf98.skydrive.li ... kL36thM%24 .

Let us know if it helps or if you're still running into issues!
GrahamG

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks!

I have downloaded them, will try them tonight.

One thing about the Scope cards; they have this mode, "XTC", which is like a regular non-dsp soundcard mode - none of the Scope-platform's dsp-residing devices are visible - good for running its synths and fx as vst's in another host. The Linuxsampler w/Fantasia registered the driver quickly in that mode, but I didn't get a midi connection working or something yet - no sound. (Don't worry about it.)
The other mode gives you its own environment, with standalone synths, mixers and fx. I ran LinuxSampler like that.

Pete

Post by Pete » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:12 am

I installed your files, and it works much better now, in either regular or XTC modes.
I will try the editor next.

I was wondering about the polyphony - do I need to specify # of voices somewhere?
A couple of my string patches got messages on the sampler console like "Voice stealing didn't work out!"

Maybe I should read the instructions...

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:14 am

Hi Pete,

You can set the polyphony in Fantasia; From the menu... Edit -> Preferences -> General Tab -> Maximum number of voices, Maximum number of disk streams.
Make sure that you have more disk streams than voices. Glad it's working better, but with almost two years worth of updates and patches added it should be!
GrahamG