LinuxSampler AU plugin

You name it!
grishata
Developer

Re: LinuxSampler AU plugin

Post by grishata » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:26 pm

typewriter wrote:I tried out the latest Fantasia (8a_cvs7) and I still have these hanging/endless playing notes when I click on the keys very fast. Is there a way, to "reset" fantasia, to stop the sound?
It's a bug in linuxsampler, not in fantasia. To stop a note, just click on it again.

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:44 pm

Which should be fixed in latest LinuxSampler CVS version though (bug #112). If those hanging notes are still not fixed, please let me know!

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:27 pm

There is a new test release available for download. If there are still bugs that are not fixed please let me know!

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:57 am

grishata wrote:There is a new test release available for download. If there are still bugs that are not fixed please let me know!
Reconnecting etc. works! Takes some time but works! Great!

Saved logic or reaper projects including linuxsampler AU sometimes take forever to load. However it works fine. It just takes a while. At first I though the program was crashed because I watched the spinning ball of OSX, but in the end everything worked.

I am able to create midi maps, save an use them, but sometimes I am not able to reload them the next time I use linuxsampler.
Loading a map unloads the whole rack and crashes the host. It also seems that such a crash of host/linuxsampler somehow destroys maps. They can't be loaded anymore. Renaming the file sometimes works.

But this problem does not show up every time. Right now everything works flawless.

Best thing would probably be to save the maps with the plugin status in order to get rid of all this. I you have created on big template in logic with all the AUis and maps you wouldn't even need to start up the Gui to have a perfect orchester a your fingertipps.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:51 pm

I tried to route more than one stereo out into reaper, actuall 16 stereo channels (while inserting one instance in a reaper track with 16 midi channels). How does that work? In general Reaper asks if it should generate multiple outs. It does not with linuxsampler AU. If I use the Reaper function in the context menue to build multiple outs Reaper gives you an error message "Build routing error! Could not get channel infos for effects. Are they multichannel?" When I choose 16 channels on the Linuxsampler AU effect panel in Reaper i'll get 16 channels in Fantasia - but still only 1 stereo out in Reaper. :(

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:25 pm

typewriter wrote:I tried to route more than one stereo out into reaper, actuall 16 stereo channels (while inserting one instance in a reaper track with 16 midi channels). How does that work? In general Reaper asks if it should generate multiple outs. It does not with linuxsampler AU. If I use the Reaper function in the context menue to build multiple outs Reaper gives you an error message "Build routing error! Could not get channel infos for effects. Are they multichannel?" When I choose 16 channels on the Linuxsampler AU effect panel in Reaper i'll get 16 channels in Fantasia - but still only 1 stereo out in Reaper. :(
Solved (somehow...): I inserted another instance to get a second out. I think it makes more sense to take the 16 channel option out of the AU since it does not generate 16 outputs in the DAW. If I can get the same just by inserting other instances it is not needed anyway.

There is not much to improve :)

Only small things:

Saving of midimaps in general and in the channels.
Channelnames: It would be nice in Fantasia to be able to "name" the channels, e.g. "violins" to have a better overview.
Some gig.-names / articulation names are too long to be readable in the displays of fantasisa. A wider display would make sense.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:12 pm

typewriter wrote:Saved logic or reaper projects including linuxsampler AU sometimes take forever to load. However it works fine. It just takes a while. At first I though the program was crashed because I watched the spinning ball of OSX, but in the end everything worked.
Yes, this is annoying, but should be fixed now in the new test release.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:19 am

New release starts real fast.

3 things I still experience.

As I remember with one of the older versions I tested linuxsampler "saved" which samples were loaded in which channel. I even did not have to open fantasia - after loading a logic song all the samples used before were loaded. When I just tested it again I found out that it seems that in logic the plugin settings are saved but not in Reaper. How does that come?

I also can not load scripts with Reaper. When I export the settings with Fantasia and try to load the script while the au is running in Reaper it is causing reaper to crash. This means I can not save any settings - loading a song in reaper means to reload every single gig file manually as well as selecting every midi channel in each track again.

Loading scripts in Fantasia while the AU is runing in logic does work... I'll report this also in the Reaper forum.

One last thing: With every start Fantasia gives an error message that it can not connect to the instrument databese. I meanwhile know that all I have to do is to create a file somewhere in OSX but this is to complicated for normal users because the relevant folders are invisible. You have to make them visible first which most users won't be able to do, as I assume.

Update:

Saving works with Ableton Live, too.

However, with live I had the problem that out of a sudden there was only output from one channel - no stereo any more. Resetting Fantasia crashed live. After restarting live and reconnecting Fantasia (works!) it did work again in stereo.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:17 pm

typewriter wrote:As I remember with one of the older versions I tested linuxsampler "saved" which samples were loaded in which channel. I even did not have to open fantasia - after loading a logic song all the samples used before were loaded. When I just tested it again I found out that it seems that in logic the plugin settings are saved but not in Reaper. How does that come?
I guess there is no support for preserving (saving/restoring) the AU plugin state in Reaper.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:21 am

grishata wrote: I guess there is no support for preserving (saving/restoring) the AU plugin state in Reaper.
It seems so. This is too bad since Reaper 3 will have full sysex support. I was able to create banks for Reaper & Linuxsampler to run literaly a complete orchester from 1 (!) single Reaper Track. Every instrument group is routed to one of the 16 track midi channels and articulations are switched by program changes.