What sound cards can I use with Linux ??

You name it!
dominiquelaliberte

What sound cards can I use with Linux ??

Post by dominiquelaliberte » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:29 am

Someone, show me
what sound cards can I use with Linux ??
and then how about latencys?? are they good enough as GSIF-compatible sound card ??

dahnielson

Re: What sound cards can I use with Linux ??

Post by dahnielson » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:08 pm

I would recommend one from M-AUDIO's Delta series. Rock solid under GNU/Linux with low latency.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

dakylla
User

Post by dakylla » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 pm

dominiquelaliberte

Post by dominiquelaliberte » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:33 am

Thank you ! Anders Dahnielson & dakylla.!! :lol:
I guess both of you are using these ones.
then how about latencies??are they are fast enough or quick enough when you compere with GSIF-compatible?
because I want to use it ,when I play on a stage,give me your ideas.

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:44 am

Yes, you can get really low latency. But it depends on how well you tune your system, i.e. IRQs. QJackCtl reports 11.6 ms latency for my studio setting with a 256 samples buffer, I could use a 128 samples buffer (even 64 samples if my system was better tuned).
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

dakylla
User

Post by dakylla » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 am

hi,

i've an old Edirol UA-20 (yes this is usb 1.1).
midi will NOT work at the same time as audio but my controler/keyboard is usb based (axiom 25), so that's ok for me.
my kernel is a 2.6.28 without RTpatches and a well tuned ( i like to think so :)) system
my latency is about 5ms.
in general, you will get better latencies value on linux than windows

take a look at this script http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php ... figuration (realTimeConfigQuickScan.pl)
it should help you setting your system

dominiquelaliberte

Post by dominiquelaliberte » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:36 pm

Thank you ! Anders Dahnielson & dakylla.!! thank you thank you!!
I can't understand the system of ALSA yet.
let me ask some.for example, I found the name of Lynx_Studio_Technology at Vendors,but can not find the name in Drivers list.
still i can use Lynx sound card with a Linux PC?

& How about the sound of Linux Sampler? I'm now using GS4 WinXpSP3 with Lynx22. I'm satisfying the sound.
I tried Kontakt 3 With my same PC. It sounds thin & poor to my ears. with same files Steinway grandiose or MiroslavVitous so on, using CDXtract.
I feel the Quality of the sounds are quite different.
Please give me your advices. yes i know i should try it with my PC,but ,still i want to know ideas both of your.

davephillips
User

Post by davephillips » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:26 pm

dominiquelaliberte wrote:Someone, show me what sound cards can I use with Linux ? and then how about latencys ?
I've been using Linux for audio work since the mid-1990s. I've used a lot of sound devices, and my current recommendations include the M-Audio Delta series and the RME Hammerfall interfaces for professional audio quality. If you're on a budget you can find some relatively cheaper cards, but these devices are well-proven in actual sustained use.

Recent SoundBlaster cards are okay for normal desktop audio. On-board (i.e. on your motherboard) sound devices are not typically suitable for audio production.

I use Delta 66 systems in two machines here. Both machines also have SoundBlaster cards installed for their MIDI hardware (I have external some MIDI devices). My notebook has an on-board Intel HDA audio chipset, but I've attached an Edirol UA25 to it for much better sound quality and better I/O. I've also attached a MidiSport 2x2 interface for testing purposes.

Latency on the desktop boxes is under 6 msecs without buffer over/underruns (xruns in ALSA-speak). All my machines run recent versions of ALSA and JACK. I'm still working on getting better latency on the notebook, due to Ubuntu's lack of a suitable realtime kernel.

As far as I can tell, ALSA does not support the Lynx cards. However, 4Front Technologies' OSS4 does support some of the Lynx devices. The following information is from http://4front-tech.com/readme/Cards.lis.html :

Lynx AES16 Studio Interface (BETA)
Lynx AES16-SRC Studio Interface (BETA)
Lynx-L22 Studio Interface
LynxONE Studio Interface
LynxTWO-A Studio Interface
LynxTWO-B Studio Interface
LynxTWO-C Studio Interface

See the 4Front site for more details concerning their drivers package.

dominiquelaliberte

Post by dominiquelaliberte » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:31 pm

Thank you davephillips!!!!

dakylla
User

Post by dakylla » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:44 pm

man, i just bought the m-audio audiophile 2496.
one word : WONDERFUL !! :mrgreen:
no xruns at 2.5ms, i think it can do less, but what for.... :roll: