Since the conversion project is long term I just want to mention a short term solution: Download Chicken Systems Translator Free
run it under Wine and convert SF2, EXS and others to Giga.
* You can only read the first listed Instrument Object on a Akai, Roland, Emu, Ensoniq, Kurzweil, or Mac disk or Virtual Drive.
* You can only write one Instrument Object to an empty Akai, Roland, Emu, Ensoniq, Kurzweil, or Mac disk or Virtual Drive.
* Bulk translations are disabled, and multi-selections are non-functional.
* You can only attempt a DOS->DOS translation once every 60 minutes.
* Formatting is disabled.
* SMDI sample transfer is disabled; however, you can view samples on a SMDI sampler.
* Property Sheets are read-only.
Everything else is fully functional! You can read and write DOS Counterpart files without limits. Basically everything we care about works without any limitations, so translating free libraries to Giga should be a breeze.
Some minor points for running Translator under Wine in GNU/Linux:
* Under View -> Format Options
, select the Giga page in the notebook and change Type
to Create Giga 3.0 for Giga3
* Uncheck Perform "Upgrade to Version 2.0" routine
. I believe it was responsible for crashing Translator on my first conversion attempt.