LinuxSampler VSTi plugin

You name it!
dahnielson

Re: VSTi status

Post by dahnielson » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:45 pm

Can the LS VSTi be compiled as a Native Linux VST?

I haven't tried it myself, but it would be smashing for use in Qtractor now that Rui implemented support for multi-timbral plugins.

(Guess I should remove "VST support" from the feature poll next time... :) )
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:15 pm

Steele wrote:Did I get it right that the goal is to load wrapped win32 VST-instruments (vsti) in a Linuxsampler channel and save them (with their settings) as a linuxsampler project? so channel one is a .gig and channel two some VSTi-instrument?
No. The LS VSTi support means that LS can run as a VSTi plugin, not that LS can host other VSTi plugins.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:15 pm

dahnielson wrote:Can the LS VSTi be compiled as a Native Linux VST?
Yes.

Steele

Post by Steele » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:11 pm

Oh, ok. Linuxsampler as VSTi plugin.
Then I guess the vote is for the LV2 plugin.

But it WOULD be great to host dssi, lv2 and linux-vsti and wine-vsti with Linuxsampler. Makes it the LinuxUberSampler

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:42 pm

sbenno wrote: As for 64bit support, an unofficial mingw version (gcc for windows) already seems to support generating 64bit binaries on WIN64
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/
so we could try to compile LS VST in 64bit mode and see if it works.
Well, now we have Cubase 5 with full 64bit support - and very interesting scoring features. I am really looking forward to linuxsampler vsti :)

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:39 pm

Hi,

Would it be possible to get a list of VST hosts that people have the VSTi working in? I have tried (so far unsuccesfully) with VSTHost and Cantabile 1.2 lite. Fantasia loads, but when I attempt to load more than one rank I get the good old BSOD (blue screen of death) or the host just bombs out.

Thanks,
GrahamG

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:51 pm

Steele wrote:Did I get it right that the goal is to load wrapped win32 VST-instruments (vsti) in a Linuxsampler channel and save them (with their settings) as a linuxsampler project? so channel one is a .gig and channel two some VSTi-instrument?
I don't think so. This is just about running Linuxsamler as VSTi in any VST capable host like Cubase etc.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:52 pm

ggoodesa wrote:Would it be possible to get a list of VST hosts that people have the VSTi working in? I have tried (so far unsuccesfully) with VSTHost and Cantabile 1.2 lite. Fantasia loads, but when I attempt to load more than one rank I get the good old BSOD (blue screen of death) or the host just bombs out.
I have run it successfully in energyXT2 (Core 2.07 CM Edition), Reaper 2.53, Samplitude SE 9.1.1, Tobybear MiniHost 1.64 and SAVIHost 1.30.

Note that you currently have to be careful with what functions you use in Fantasia. Some of them are forbidden for the VSTi, and will make the sequencer crash. This includes all operations in the "Devices" tab, and changing midi or audio device or midi input for a channel. Edit: the following is wrong! Also, you should not add or remove channels in Fantasia, as they correspond to the plugin instances you create in your sequencer and appear and disappear automatically.

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:07 pm

Andreas wrote:Also, you should not add or remove channels in Fantasia, as they correspond to the plugin instances you create in your sequencer and appear and disappear automatically.
Aha! That's why Qtractor kept on crashing. :oops:
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:49 pm

Andreas wrote:Also, you should not add or remove channels in Fantasia, as they correspond to the plugin instances you create in your sequencer and appear and disappear automatically.
No, sorry, this is wrong! I was just being confused. You can add channels in Fantasia, that's even how you're supposed to make the VST play multiple instruments.

It is also possible to add extra instances of the VST in the sequencer (to get more than 16 midi channels for example), but every instance will use it's own disk buffers, so it should not be used just to play more than one gig instrument.