LinuxSampler VSTi plugin

You name it!
typewriter
Advanced User

LinuxSampler VSTi plugin

Post by typewriter » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:16 am

I have read on the homepage that experimental vst support was implemented.

Are there any plans for a official release?

I wanted to buy Tascams GVI for use with Repaer in a network (with ReaMote: network vst rendering) but I face a problem with the usb dongle when I install GVI on a seperate machine. To make it work GVI has to be installed on the main computer (for using the GUI, no sampel playback) and the network machine (for sample playback). I would need a second usb key and license...

I would really appreciate a vst-version of linuxsampler to solve this issue.

Martin

cuse
Developer

Re: VSTi status

Post by cuse » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:57 am

Maybe we finish a new release this year, but no guarantee.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:54 pm

cuse wrote:Maybe we finish a new release this year, but no guarantee.
This sounds great.

I just started to convert all my gig files to Kontakt / EXS but it's a real pain.

I would love to stick with the original format.

Having an AUi or VSTi of linuxsampler would make things so much easier.

I hope we will also get a 64bit version of linuxsampler with AU/VSTi support, since GVI 4 will never be released.

Steele

Post by Steele » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:58 pm

Are you planning to use the open VST headers which are used by dssi-vst or some of this "download the sdk and ... "stuff?

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:13 pm

Steele wrote:Are you planning to use the open VST headers which are used by dssi-vst or some of this "download the sdk and ... "stuff?
Currently it is required to download the vst sdk from steinberg to be able to build linuxsampler as a VSTi.

Steele

Post by Steele » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:52 am

why don't you change to the open source headers?

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:23 pm

I'm not sure, but I think vestige is missing features that are used in the linuxsampler vsti, the get/set chunk functions.

sbenno
Developer

Post by sbenno » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi, in principle LinuxSampler VSTi already works quite nicely (Andreas and me are testing it under various sequencers, I'm using reaper),
what currently still needs to be fixed is the ability to use FX sends in LinuxSampler VST since it will allow to provide midi controllable FXes
for GIG samples using the sequencer's FXes. (eg reverb,chorus etc).
As cuse said not sure if we can release it till the end of the year but the finish line is in sight :)
I hope that VST users will find LS VST useful as it provides perfect integration with familiar sequencer environments while retaining all
chracteristics, functionalities and performance of LS. LS VST has even the advantage that by opening multiple instances you can take advantage
of multicore CPUs and achieve a polyphony of several hundreds of voices (the bottleneck is usually the disk).
As for 64bit support, an unofficial mingw version (gcc for windows) already seems to support generating 64bit binaries on WIN64
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/
so we could try to compile LS VST in 64bit mode and see if it works.
BTW does reaper now support 64bit VSTis on WIN64 ? (probably no LS developer currently has a commercial 64bit capable (cubase,sonar) VST sequencer to test.
keeping you posted about the progress :)

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:34 am

This is so good news!
sbenno wrote: BTW does reaper now support 64bit VSTis on WIN64 ? (probably no LS developer currently has a commercial 64bit capable (cubase,sonar) VST sequencer to test.
keeping you posted about the progress :)
As far as I know it does. There is a x64 beta available: http://reaper.fm/files/2.x/reaper253_x64-install.exe

Right now it supports only 64bit plugins. 32bit vstis don't show up.

There is also one nice thing: The x64 preview also includes a 64bit "remote" - the network vst streaming component of reaper.

One more question: Is it possible to compile also a Mac VSTi?

The OSX Version of linuxsampler needs JackOSX which crashes quite often. It woud be great if Jack could be avoided.

Steele

Post by Steele » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:59 pm

Did I get it right that the goal is to load wrapped win32 VST-instruments (vsti) in a Linuxsampler channel and save them (with their settings) as a linuxsampler project? so channel one is a .gig and channel two some VSTi-instrument?