.gig file format license?

You name it!
locctr

.gig file format license?

Post by locctr » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:45 am

I have a Question about .gig file format license.

Is it no problem? use .gig format in Linuxsampler Or other User made program,

And reverse engineering .gig file format struct... etc

PS. I'm so sorry about my short english. :mrgreen:

dahnielson

Re: .gig file format license?

Post by dahnielson » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:58 am

I don't quite understand your question. But...
  • There is no ".gig file format license" as far as I know.
  • The format was created by Nemesys by modifying the MMA's (MIDI Manufacturers Association) open DLS format. The formats themselves are built upon RIFF structures.
  • There are other applications than LinuxSampler/gigedit that both read and write .gig files (e.g. Kontakt, Translator, Extreme Sample Converter) without any ".gig file format license" as far as I know.
  • The reverse engineered implementation used by LinuxSampler (the application) is called 'libgig' (a library) and is released under the GNU General Public License, without any exception (only the application LinuxSampler contain one). So any GPL software that wish to read and write the Gigasampler format can do so by using libgig.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

cuse
Developer

Re: .gig file format license?

Post by cuse » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:19 pm

You have to differentiate. Reverse engineering upon investigating the application's binary (in this case GSt) is illegal. However the file format per se cannot be placed under copyright. And using the normal application's operations like "Save ..." and comparing the written output files (e.g. .gig files or audio streams) as we did, is not illegal at all. So in other words: we haven't done anything that would break their copyright and thus is not an issue whatsover to use LS, libgig or whatever.